Problem with accdb association on user's desktops (1 Viewer)

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 19:01
if you have the "latest" version of Office, don't mix it with older version.
if you need to develop on lower version, install it on a Virtual Machine.
Oracle offers VirtualBox, a free Virtual machine,

burma

Local time
Today, 04:01
if you have the "latest" version of Office, don't mix it with older version.
if you need to develop on lower version, install it on a Virtual Machine.
I agree but until users I'm supporting uninstall the older version, I have to support them with what they have.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I agree, but until the users I'm supporting uninstall the older version, I have to support them with what they have.
I have no experience with this but take a look. Maybe it's something you can use?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 19:01
I agree but, until the users I'm supporting uninstall the older version, I have to support them with what they have.
that is why you need to install the VM to Your Pc.
Then you can develop, whatever version your client has.
You should adjust, not your client.
Mixing versions will cause you more headaches.

burma

Local time
I have no experience with this but take a look. Maybe it's something you can use?
I would love to have that but my boss won't go for it (so far).

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:01
Does it also offer free Windows licenses?

Licensing is based on the number of copies of Total Access Startup installed. Each copy requires a separate license.
One installation can manage an unlimited number of databases called by an unlimited number of users on that network.
$499 doesn't seem outrageous given that you need only a single copy of the application installed on a server and which ALL users use to launch their applications. I frequently have my clients purchase FMS products to help with things like this. It's a no brainer.

The alternative, is as the others have suggested is that YOU stick with the oldest version anyone has to you don't accidently use a feature that the older version doesn't support.

burma

Local time
$499 doesn't seem outrageous given that you need only a single copy of the application installed on a server and which ALL users use to launch their applications. I frequently have my clients purchase FMS products to help with things like this. It's a no brainer.

The alternative, is as the others have suggested is that YOU stick with the oldest version anyone has to you don't accidently use a feature that the older version doesn't support.
I agree that it's a good price for all it does, and FMS has a nice licensing model. In my case it's not about cost but the approved software acquisition channels my company uses. I've recommended other FMS products to them but so far no dice.

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 12:01
I used to have a folder off the root C:\ named as my company name. In that I would have sub-folders, one for each of my programs that the customer used. Then another folder in the company folder into which would be installed the Access RunTime. Each of the program folders contained the program FE and all of the necessary files for the FE to operate and open the BE. There was also a shortcut in each that opened the Access Runtime and as a parameter the individual program name. Each of the shortcuts were pasted to the Desktop.

I only developed and issued in one version of Access at a time. As I changed Access versions I updated my customers' systems. If any declined they would not receive any more updates until their Runtime and all of their programs were updated to my current version. I would never consider creating and issuing any MDE or ACCDE files over different Access versions of an application. I didn't experience any issues on any of the numerous sites that ran my software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom