Access/VBA or VB.NET or ?! (1 Viewer)

ray147

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:10
i have recently design an access database with integrated VBA and this is working quite well..this system records bookings for supplier returns, amendments, despatches, tracks failed bookings, supplier data mgmt, etc...it's a split DB with backend/frontend and used by about 5 users (some of whom concurrently).

now i intend to develop another system...a warehouse management system...eventually needs to be used in conjunction with portable handheld terminals (PHT) over a wireless network so that warehouse colleagues will be sent putaway and pick instructions to their PHTs, confirm each task and update the system (stockholding)...this shall be based on bar-coded reads (thru the PHTs).
i envisage number of concurrent users should be around 10 or 15 (including warehouse colleagues).

now i'm not quite sure whether i should implement this using an Access database (backend and frontend with Access VBA). would this be a good infrastructure for such system?

was thinking abt VB.NET with MYSQL backend..or VB.NET with Access backend ?? am unsure abt what would be my best bet....i'm quite familiar with access and VBA now of course from my previous project..but could i encounter any difficulties at some stage if i try implementing this new system in the same way?

feedback much appreciated :)

ray147

Registered User.
Local time
17 views and no reply?! :(

am i missing something here?

am i not clear? or too vague?

R

Rich

You're missing the fact that it's Sunday and that most programmers don't work today

ray147

Registered User.
Local time
yeah that could be an issue!!!

no worries, will be patient to let them relax hehe..

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:10
You left out what to me is the most obvious solution. Access with an SQL Server or other RDBMS back end.

Whether you use Jet or something else for a back end depends on how much data you have and how many concurrent users you have. Jet bogs down as the number of users increase and the amount of data pushed around over a slow network increases.

Access as a front end can be used by an unlimited number of users as long as each user has his own copy of the front end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom