Add Value to Combobox (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 11:00
Kind of generic question so I will put this in General.
While I was messing with a template (I believe it was the Asset Tracking template), I noticed the combo boxes on it that while dropped down, there was a little box that would appear then when you clicked on it would open another window to edit the values for the combo boxes. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how that was done. Anyone have some insight to that? That would actually be very useful to use.

Mike Krailo

Local time
That little box means Edit List Items property is enabled.

tmyers

Local time
Figured it would be something simple. Thank you Mike!

Ah, I see that little box only appears when that is set to true and (at least for the combobox), the row source is set to value list.

Mike Krailo

Local time
You could also create a list item edit form in cases where it's not a simple value list.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't recommend enabling the edit value lists. The point of combos is to prevent typos and ensure consistent input. If you let people change the list on the fly, you will end up with a mess. If you want a simple way to manage lookup tables, download my sample.

tmyers

Local time
After tinkering with it in a more practical sense, I came to agree very quickly and stopped messing with it.
I just went my traditional route of a form to add values to the combo so they can be validated. I mostly just didn't know that that little box was even a thing.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I guess you didn't look at my sample. It manages ALL simple lookups using two tables and two forms. One for the table of tables and the second for the items in the tables.

tmyers

Local time
Ill admit, I did not (yet). I promise to look at it as soon as I have a minute though! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom