Adding up CHECKBOXES - formulas in Word Forms? (1 Viewer)

vbaDev

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:00
Hi, all. I am an Access developer, but i'm pretty comfortable with Excel and Word... except this forms thing - never had to set them up before.

i'm talking about making a document a locked form, where you can only fill out the grey fields (similar to PDF forms).

I've figured out text fields and even formulas, but the formulas tend to add up any numbers, which are in the table cells, even if they are not part of the "grey" form fields (they're part of field descriptions).

also, the formulas don't "get" that a checkbox is either "0" (unchecked) or "-1" if checked, they ignore the checkboxes, even though i've custom-named each checkbox and included it in the formula.

ideas?

P.S. This is basically an assessment sheet, which has a table where there's a checkbox in each column and the last column needs to total them.

vbaDev

Registered User.
Local time
nobody at all? :)

Local time
Today, 17:00
I'm a little confused by your post which is why I didn't answer the first and second times I saw it.

You're mixing terminology a little bit and it makes it hard to determine exactly what you're trying to do.

Remember that Word is word processing software. You can do some ingenious things with it but I wouldn't try a lot of number crunching with it.

vbaDev

Registered User.
Local time
well, Word Forms seem to be made just for that. It's not a huge number-crunching operation, just a simple totals column:

The Score Risk Priority Column should be a total of the 3 checkboxes (if they're checked). This is not unlike what PDF documents can also do.

I am just confused about HOW. I gave a programmatic name to each box and try referring to them in formulas, but nothing. Only the 1st line in the picture has real "forms" checkboxes setup.

Thanks.

Tanya

Access Novice
Local time
Today, 15:00
I can see an easier solution to this problem. Why not use an embeded excel worksheet which will do the number crunching for you.
good luck

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 944

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom