Advice Please (1 Viewer)

PaddyIrishMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:48
Hi all,
I'm currently working on a multi user database which will be used be approx 50 people. This is the second phase & the initial phase is up & running until I replace it with the latest version.

The thing is..
At the moment, everybody connects to the database via a shortcut to the opening form. Sometimes network errors, locking errors & other nasty things do occur.
Naturally I would like to avoid these wherever possible BUT..
I havent a clue where to start. MDE files, Splitting databases???
Surely it's more efficient to distribute a shortcut to a database to the 50 users (on the same LAN) than have to copy over front-end files to each machine?

I know it's a bit long winded but I'd appreciate anybodys advice as to how I should approach this before I release the next version *& why (if you have time)

Thanks in advance,
Kind Regards,
Patrick :confused:

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 08:48
I would

1) split the db
2) create a batch file that copies the FE to each users machine each time that open the db
3) Not worry with MDE

Why?

1) A split db is easier to maintain. Very seldom do you make changes to the back end but you do with the FE.

2) You can always ensure that the user has the latest FE by coping it to their machine each time it is opened. I have a pretty entensive FE and it is only 2 meg, takes a couple of seconds to copy.

3) An MDE really doesn't stop people from screwing up your db. If you make the BE hidden most people won't know it exists and the FE copies every time they open the db.

It really sounds like you need to dig through your db for inconsistancies in data types, old code no longer needed and to ensure you are as normalized as possible. You really shouldn't expect errors even with the way your db is currently set up.

I contributed to a thread on distributed db's so search for Autoeng and check it out.

Good luck,
Autoeng

PaddyIrishMan

Registered User.
Local time
Thats Great AutoEng - thanks for the advice.
Just one more for the folks at the back though - if I'm not going to be making any more changes should I just leave it the way it is??

Thanks again - Patrick

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 08:48
I would make the changes. Even though you THINK your done your users might have other ideas.

Some other thoughts.

If you have users with different screen resolutions you might want to think about a form resizer.

You need to disable the shift key.

You need a way to kick out the users and keep them out during BE updates.

Might want to diable the mouse scroll button if any users have them.

Remove all toolbars. If you need buttons create a custom toolbar.

All of the things above have been throughly discussed in the forums in the past few months and I've contributed to most so you could search for Autoeng.

Good luck,
Autoeng

PaddyIrishMan

Registered User.
Local time
More work? Are you trying to depress me?? :)

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom