Apostrophe ’ instead of ' in RFT, solution that took me ages to work out. rare problem but bugged me! (1 Viewer)

bignose2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:25
I could not find this anywhere so perhaps a very rare situation & not one to cause issues but just in case someone has a similar problem.
Tried many times over many months & just gave up. May be obvious to some/most but thought mention here.

Trying to remove or correct apostrophes ' in RTF fields.

I actually send SMS text's via email via ms access and this causes me lots of issues as my provider that routes the SMS to email & visa versa will reject some characters.
They say ' is actually OK.

I simply could not work out why when I send email/text with ' in it only occasionally rejected them.
Whenever I tried to replicated the message I had typed it worked fine.

I had checks to replace ’ which often is the code behind ' so assumed all OK but as I say sometimes rejected.

What I eventually found the other day is when you type dont it adds the ' but a ’ (has more of an angle) a completely different character code, I don't think even the reverse of the open single quote.

I had got so use to letting it do this automatically I had not noticed but of course testing I was so careful to type it or even copy paste.
anyway a simple
strText = Replace(strText, "’", "'")

As I say I image a very, very tiny amount of people may be affected by this but just felt if I had found a comment about this would have saved me a lot of grief.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 19:25
Thanks for sharing.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:25
I've seen a few code posts in forums where what doesn't work is encased in smart quotes (I think that's what M$ calls them). If I'm responding I'll always ask if those characters are really in the code or did they end up in the post because of some copy and paste action, because if they're in the code, the code invariably doesn't function properly. So the problem isn't new, but you seem to have found another place that these characters cause trouble.

Thanks from me too for your sharing.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:25
I can't speak for other utilities, but in Word that is in the auto-correct options - to use "straight" quotes or "smart" quotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom