Are you an atheist? (5 Viewers)

Are you an atheist?

• Total voters

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:44
Not to take fire2ice's side, but....

I'm much less likely to run into someone wanting to cause trouble at a church picnic than I am at the local strip club. Unless, of course, it's a Catholic church picnic with a beer tent;)
And I'm sure that's great consolation to anyone who's ever been molested by a priest or conned out of their money by a televangelist or a faith healer.

I wasn't saying that there weren't some people who behave badly, I was objecting to they way the unfounded generalisation was stated as if it were fact, when it isn't.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:44
Which one?:confused:
Good question.

Several people on this thread have objected to the way I phrased the polling option: My god is the only god and he definitely exists. I apologized because I wasn't trying to offend anyone, but when I wrote it, I was trying to explicitly state what many believers implicitly state when they say I believe in god, with a capital G, which is that their god is the only god.

redneckgeek

Local time
And I'm sure that's great consolation to anyone who's ever been molested by a priest or conned out of their money by a televangelist or a faith healer.
My first statement had nothing in common with your statement.

I wasn't saying that there weren't some people who behave badly, I was objecting to they way the unfounded generalisation was stated as if it were fact, when it isn't.

Are you saying that, in general, people that go to church do not try to behave better than people that don't?

I suppose we could pick apart the word "behave". I'm a good case in point - I (an athiest) behave much more poorly than my wife (a christian).
See my posts above for evidence. It would be interesting to see the religous practices/beliefs of 100 convicted criminals at the time they committed their crimes. If 90 of them were non-believers or didn't "walk the walk", would the generalization then be accurate?

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I didn't say it was empirical, just a tendency.
Yes, you stated it was a fact that the tendency exists. It isn't.
There is evidence of anything you want evidence for. However, there are many more examples of those that I spoke of than the alternate. Some people can become wackos. However, this isn't necessarily a cause and effect. They are wackos to begin with most likely and choose religion as their vehicle. I'm not sure there are many examples of a really good person that finds God and goes out on a killing spree that probably wouldn't have picked up the gun before their religious moment. So, I'm not sure I get your point.
Nobody mentioned a killing spree, so to quote your whine 'get your words out of my mouth'. Isn't stealing against the beliefs of all good christians? Don't plenty of faith healers and televangelists do that? Don't some priests molest children?

They are loving and kind in spite of the perversion
No, they're not.
To be honest, that's a bit of a bizarre thing to say: you cannot be a loving and kind person who sexually assaults people.

fire2ice

Expert Novice
Local time
One final reply to this and them I'm back to more important matters. I believe in God...big deal...sue me.

You attacked when I provided my belief and felt it your duty to line by line tell me why I'm wrong. You already stated your point of view... many, many times before. And you are correct, we shouldn't be having this discussion. As I stated earlier, this is a no-win discussion and pointless for us to be "battling" when in the end it is both our "opinions" as neither hypothesis can be proven.

How did I attack and belittle you? I was merely stating MY point of view. If you see that as an attack, maybe we shouldn't be having this discussion.

Have you devised the God test? I'd like to see it. How WOULD you be able to scientifically prove His existence? We still don't know so many things about our world. It is quite arrogant to think that we can "test" for God like we can for the presence of a chemical. Where did aids come from. What causes Autism? How do we cure cancer? We don't have those answers yet or a million others. Do you really think that we can solve the existence of God and not these others? If you go back to phylosophical reasoning, how do we even prove our own existance? Because we perceive it to be so. What if our perception is all wrong? Think Matrix. You can't prove that our reality exists. However, we go off what we know and make the general assumption that our reality is real.

And my point is that if he actually existed, you WOULD be able to scientifically prove his existence. The reason noone can devise an experiment to test for the existence of god is because there is not one shred of evidence on which to base a hypothesis that could be tested.

I believe because I can. I believe because I choose to. I believe because it gives me hope. I believe because the world makes more sense to me in my belief. There is nothing wrong with that. Why would you believe something that has not been proven and is not likely to ever be proven? The non-existance of God is the same as His existance. However, the absence of God in your life does not prove He does not exist. On the contrary, there are those that believe they have felt the presence of God in their lives and that is all the proof they need. I'm not one of those people, but sincerely wish that one day I will be. That is why I believe.

I agree completely, so why would you believe something that has not been proven and is not likely to ever be proven?

What led people to believe the Earth wasn't flat was new evidence. Just like all discoveries, they take time and opportunity. Perhaps we have had neither the time nor the opportunity to discover God. As for physical evidence, some would say that we are the evidence or that this world is. However, I do not think there will ever be physical evidence as God is not physical.

Yes, but what led people to think that the earth wasn't flat? It was because there was physical evidence (such as being able to sail around the world, the fact that a ship's mast dissappears from view as it sails away, etc, etc,) that was inconsistent with a flat earth.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. We have NO physical evidence that is inconsistent with a world with God either. I had physical evidence of God's existence but got drunk and lost it.

I've heard your broken record about physical evidence. I hope you've heard mine. Hopefully we can agree that there is no physical evidence that can either prove or disprove His existance.

In the case of god, we have NO physical evidence that is inconsistent with a godless world.

In a court of law that would have been considered a loaded statement. You painted your idea with bright colors and flung dung on mine. Put yours out with all the plausibility in the world and framed mine in childish fantasy. As far as I'm concerned, they both seem about as farfectched as can be. It's just a matter of whether you want to believe your greatest grandpa was a spec of slime with no real purpose or something that was created with a divine purpose. If I had my choice...

How did I smear your idea? All I did was contrast the two world views, if I misrepresented yours, feel free to clarify.

Suicide bombers exist with the belief that 70 virgins await them after they complete their divine quest. In addition, they gain the ultimate power in their minds as they will be set among the highest in the afterlife. I'm not sure how much more powerful you can be. It's funny how those in charge never seek that reward.

Then how do explain the prevalence of suicide bombers today? The ones who freely admit their absolute belief that their terrible acts committed in the name of their god will gain them admission to heaven? Do they gain power through those acts?

This is true. They did what they did. In the United States our soldiers do what they do in the service of a belief as well. In fact, any war, battle, conflict, or whatever is best served by people with beliefs. Otherwise, they would look for the first opportunity to escape. Beliefs are what drives all conflicts as those that lack conviction would seek to leave at the onset of any obstacle (especially the likeyhood of death). Do I think that all wars were just? No! Do I believe in the religious wars? No! In fact, my people were often on the "wrong side" in that regard. So, I'm the one that should be pissed. However, religion is what held my people together during those times as well. There were times that their belief in God was the only thing they had left in the world. There were times when they died holding onto that belief. And no...God didn't save them. However, that does not prove the non-existence.

You are correct that the leaders of horrific events are often motivated by power, and simply used religion to coax people along with them. But that doesn't change the fact that the actual foot soldiers in history have often justified their crimes useing their belief in god, and their belief that they are doing what god wants them to do.

Not at all. I implied that she would not have had the great impact on the world that she had. Without religion, I'm sure she would have been one heck of a person. However, it is unlikely that she would have reached the leve that she did without her belief driving her forward. Just like I stated above related to conflict, without motivation, people would give up at the first sign of difficulty. Religion was here motivation.

Yes, there ae plenty of huanitaria efforts that are NOT religious-based. You are correct that you don't need religion or belief in God to be a good person or to do good in the world. Plenty of people are out saving the world who do not fully embrace God. However, because of the belief in God, there are more.

You are implying that Mother Theresa would have done horrible things instead of good things with her life had she not believed in god. Is that truely what you believe? There are also many humanitarian efforts that are NOT driven by religion or belief in god. My point is that you don't need religion or belief in god to be a good person or to do good acts, and that the people who are out there saving the world would be doing that whether or not they believed in god.

Another topic we can agree on. Neither state can be proven or disproven!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, I don't care if you change your mind. I'm not selling my beliefs to you or anybody. I was sharing my view and then defended myself. Your belief is your belief. Go for it. Just stop thinking that the world needs to agree with you.

Again, you can't prove that something doesn't exist. There will never be scientific proof that god doesn't exist. Currently, there is no evidence that he does exist either. If and when that changes, I will happily change my mind. Until then, I see no purpose in believing something that is incredibly unlikely to be true.

I don't really think you got the point. I didn't say not to point out the logical flaw in my argument. You went outside the rules of logic and I merely stated that. The two mathematical error types speak for themselves. I didn't write them.

What you did was to say that under Type 2 that if God exists that he still doesn't exist. That is a logical error.

Let's say you die and face God because He does exist. Let's also say you are a good person and lived a life God would be proud of. Then He looks at his checklist and says "Don't believe in me huh?" Will he send you to hell? Not in my belief. In others', you would. However, I think that being a good person counts the most.

That is a problem with the world. People are always looking at the consequences and thinking that if there are no consequences to their actions, then everything is okay. If you commit murder and get away with it, does that mean there was nothing wrong with the act? I wonder if beating up a homeless person is okay too since nobody will ever do anything about it. Not everything in the world results in consequences, that doesn't dismiss the logic behind the argument.

Big deal if God doesn't smite you for disbelief. Personally, I think that if you meet God when you die there will be a little "oops" pop in your head.

That's cute, you are telling me not to point out the logical flaw in your argument, thereby admitting that you see the flaw yourself. So say I die and I come to face god because it turns out he does exist. Then what? Do you think he will send me to hell to punish me for not believing, despite the fact that I was a good person and lived a good life? What is the "consequence" of my choice? Don't you think that if it really was important to god that we believed in him, that he would show up every now and then?

So, in the cultures where "honor killings" are not just accepted but encouraged, there is morality in that culture? Cultures that tell men to have sex with young virgin girls in order to relieve themselves of a disease by passing it on to the girsl is moral? The idea that one of the first things people did historically after conquering a village was to ra** the woman is moral? It is far from empirical evidence that all cultures are by nature moral. It is more realistic to say that they all have their own sense of morality. In addition, that morality is derived often by those in power.

Murder is more of an instinct when you look back. Before our moral codes, if you wanted something and you were strong enough, you took it. If someone bothered you it was okay to beat or kill them. Sometimes these were viewed publically.

The only evidence that I need to know about believing in God tends to make an impact on the goodness of people is that absent my belief in God I would do things that I would not with the belief. There are desires that I do not act upon because I believe in God. However, there are desires that I act upon despite my belief. When it comes down to it though, I know I would do more things deemed to be immoral by our society if I did not believe in God. My belief in God always drives me to be a better man than I am. That and my love for my family.

People are moral by nature. This is not the same as saying that all people are good, or that people always behave morally. The empirical evidence of this is that accross all cultures, all continents, and all religions, there is something of a moral consensus that it is wrong to kill and to steal, and that it is right to be kind and generous. These morals appear in every culture and every religion because they are HUMAN morals, not RELIGIOUS morals. From an evolutionary perspective, it makes sense that humans would evolve to have morals because they increase our chance of survival.

I could say that you provided not one study to support anything you said. So why is it that you are demanding this of me? As I stated above, I know personally that I behave better because of my belief. In addition, I have friends who I talk to about things we'd love to do but don't because of a desire to be good. Thus, I have primary research to support my theory. I did not say that the lack of belief tends to make people act worse, so please don't read that in.

That is an outright lie. Show me one study that proves it.

I may check back in on the topic later, but I doubt I'll post on it again. I believe what I believe and everyone else does the same.

Take care all. :)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 00:44
I find it funny that atheists believe in not believing so much that they feel the need to spread the gospel of their disbelief to others. For some reason it is important to them to convince others to not believe. Why? Did someone steal your cookie?
I disagree. You find far more believers trying to recruit converts than you do atheists. I have had many calls from Jehovahs Witnesses and other religions but never one trying to convert me to atheism.

Surely if you believe in God it is your duty to spread the word to unbelievers to save them from hellfire but perhaps I overestimate your charity.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
My first statement had nothing in common with your statement.
My apologies.
I assumed that when you quoted my request for evidence then wrote "I'm much less likely to run into someone wanting to cause trouble at a church picnic than I am at the local strip club." you were providing that as evidence. In return, I provided what I see as evidence to the contrary.

Could you explain how what you wrote as evidence for the argument 'had nothing in common' with what I wrote as evidence against?

Are you saying that, in general, people that go to church do not try to behave better than people that don't?
Based on personal experience - since we seem to be going by that - yes, I am. I've yet to meet anyone who claims to be religious and deosn't pick and choose which parts of the religion to adhere to and which are just plain inconvenient. Luckily, the bible is so open to interretaion that people can find something to back up pretty much anything they want to do.
I suppose we could pick apart the word "behave".
Exactly.
I'm a good case in point - I (an athiest) behave much more poorly than my wife (a christian).
Says who? By a christian's standards? Perhaps you do. All you've said so far is that you go to strip clubs and don't argue with your wife about her beliefs. In what way is that behaving poorly?

It would be interesting to see the religous practices/beliefs of 100 convicted criminals at the time they committed their crimes. If 90 of them were non-believers or didn't "walk the walk", would the generalization then be accurate?
No, it wouldn't.

If you can provide some evidence that all(or even most) people who do 'bad' things get caught and sent to prison then it would be.

As it stands, all you could 'prove' would be that - of those people who did something illiegal AND got caught AND got charged AND got convicted - X percent didn't believe in god.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
One final reply to this and them I'm back to more important matters. I believe in God...big deal...sue me.
why would we do that:confused:. You are entitled to your beliefs however much we think you are mistaken
Have you devised the God test? I'd like to see it. How WOULD you be able to scientifically prove His existence? We still don't know so many things about our world. It is quite arrogant to think that we can "test" for God like we can for the presence of a chemical. Where did aids come from. What causes Autism? How do we cure cancer? We don't have those answers yet or a million others. Do you really think that we can solve the existence of God and not these others? If you go back to phylosophical reasoning, how do we even prove our own existance? Because we perceive it to be so. What if our perception is all wrong? Think Matrix. You can't prove that our reality exists. However, we go off what we know and make the general assumption that our reality is real.
Unnecessary to have a godtest. God is just an extra irrelevancy when it comes to looking for the causes of diseases

I believe because I can. I believe because I choose to. I believe because it gives me hope. I believe because the world makes more sense to me in my belief. There is nothing wrong with that. Why would you believe something that has not been proven and is not likely to ever be proven? The non-existance of God is the same as His existance. However, the absence of God in your life does not prove He does not exist. On the contrary, there are those that believe they have felt the presence of God in their lives and that is all the proof they need. I'm not one of those people, but sincerely wish that one day I will be. That is why I believe.
Methinks thou dost protest too much

What led people to believe the Earth wasn't flat was new evidence. Just like all discoveries, they take time and opportunity. Perhaps we have had neither the time nor the opportunity to discover God. As for physical evidence, some would say that we are the evidence or that this world is. However, I do not think there will ever be physical evidence as God is not physical.
The greeks were able to calculate the diameter of the earth more than 2000 years ago so they knew it was roughly spherical and not flat
Suicide bombers exist with the belief that 70 virgins await them after they complete their divine quest. In addition, they gain the ultimate power in their minds as they will be set among the highest in the afterlife. I'm not sure how much more powerful you can be. It's funny how those in charge never seek that reward.
Seems a bit rough on the virgins:)

This is true. They did what they did. In the United States our soldiers do what they do in the service of a belief as well. In fact, any war, battle, conflict, or whatever is best served by people with beliefs. Otherwise, they would look for the first opportunity to escape. Beliefs are what drives all conflicts as those that lack conviction would seek to leave at the onset of any obstacle (especially the likeyhood of death). Do I think that all wars were just? No! Do I believe in the religious wars? No! In fact, my people were often on the "wrong side" in that regard. So, I'm the one that should be pissed. However, religion is what held my people together during those times as well. There were times that their belief in God was the only thing they had left in the world. There were times when they died holding onto that belief. And no...God didn't save them. However, that does not prove the non-existence.
This would indicate a belief in God is not much use when you really need it

The only evidence that I need to know about believing in God tends to make an impact on the goodness of people is that absent my belief in God I would do things that I would not with the belief. There are desires that I do not act upon because I believe in God. However, there are desires that I act upon despite my belief. When it comes down to it though, I know I would do more things deemed to be immoral by our society if I did not believe in God. My belief in God always drives me to be a better man than I am. That and my love for my family.
I love my family too. It just seems to me that I have met many religious people who say its only their religion that keeps them from doing bad things. I also know many atheists who live just as good lives without a religion

I could say that you provided not one study to support anything you said. So why is it that you are demanding this of me? As I stated above, I know personally that I behave better because of my belief. In addition, I have friends who I talk to about things we'd love to do but don't because of a desire to be good. Thus, I have primary research to support my theory. I did not say that the lack of belief tends to make people act worse, so please don't read that in.
So what are you saying then:confused:

I may check back in on the topic later, but I doubt I'll post on it again. I believe what I believe and everyone else does the same

Take care all. :)
It would be interesting to hear your replies:)

Last edited:

redneckgeek

Local time
Alc,

My Statement:
I'm much less likely to run into someone wanting to cause trouble at a church picnic than I am at the local strip club.

Your Statement:

Mine was a (possibly poor) attempt at empirical "evidence". While it may be a generalization, I'll stand by it. I never feel unsafe at my wife's church picnics - except from a poorly aimed horseshoe. I haven't actually been to a strip club for a few years - but I don't think the average guy there is a church-goer, and I'd feel a bit more insecure walking out of there by myself with a wad of money.

I read your statement as saying "One bad apple spoils the bunch"

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Alc,
I read your statement as saying "One bad apple spoils the bunch"
I took your statement to mean that the fact that some people who are religious are good supports the argument that this is the tendency.
My statement pointed out that some people who are religious are bad, so why shouldn't this be seen as the tendency?

As it stands, would you say that religious people tend to be from Michigan? I assume those you've met tend to be?

redneckgeek

Local time
I took your statement to mean that the fact that some people who are religious are good supports the argument that this is the tendency.
My statement pointed out that some people who are religious are bad, so why shouldn't this be seen as the tendency?

I was raised by a "born-again" mother. I spent a lot of time at church.
(Surprisingly, I was never molested or had my money taken from me). I also know a lot of people from my wife's church. They all "seem" to be good people.

I define people who behave as people who don't break the laws of society, and are respectful of the rights of others. I've always worked around people that generally don't go to church. They seem to not follow the law as closely (dwi, fights, etc)

Based SOLELY on my experience, I will be so bold to say that:
People that go to church tend to behave better than those that don't,
because they feel God expects it from them, and they will be rewarded in the afterlife.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Based SOLELY on my experience, I will be so bold to say that:
People that go to church tend to behave better than those that don't
And there's the key point.
Like I said, by the same token, don't most religious people tend to come from your state?

Since coming to Canada, I've met at least three 'religious' people who have been arrested for driving under the influence, one who was fined for handling a weapon dangerously, and one who steals from work. Does that mean all religious people do these things? Of course not. Still, based on that sample, they tend to.

The tendency I've noted is no less relevant than yours, but equally meaningless when taken in the grand scheme of things.

redneckgeek

Local time
And there's the key point.
Like I said, by the same token, don't most religious people tend to come from your state?

Since coming to Canada, I've met at least three 'religious' people who have been arrested for driving under the influence, one who was fined for handling a weapon dangerously, and one who steals from work. Does that mean all religious people do these things? Of course not. Still, based on that sample, they tend to.

The tendency I've noted is no less relevant than yours, but equally meaningless when taken in the grand scheme of things.

Not that this will do anything to further my point in your mind, but I'm guessing my sample size is in the 1,00s - from Virginia, Florida, Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan (gotta keep ahead of the law, you know:rolleyes:). And to be fair, I went to a mega-church in Florida for a while... some time after I left, the pastor was arrested for pistol whipping a fellow parishoner at a topless bar! Two bad apples.... A minor part of why I became an athiest, but it didn't change my opinion of church-goers overall.

Last edited:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
To get back to the basic point. I do not think that people become atheists because they see religious people behaving badly any more than they become religious from seeing religious people behaving well. Most people I have discussed this with have reached their position because of their inner beliefs or lack of them. Some of us have become atheists because we do not believe what we consider to be fairy stories. We do not need a god to explain why the world/universe is as it is.

Other people have a sincere belief in a god/gods (lets not discriminate against Hindus etc) which for them answers their fundamental questions.

All I ask is that we accept each other's position and adopt a attitude of live and let live. Is that too much to ask

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 16:44
I'm much less likely to run into someone wanting to cause trouble at a church picnic than I am at the local strip club. Unless, of course, it's a Catholic church picnic with a beer tent

Think of the agro at a Catholic church picnic without a beer tent though!

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time
A female co-worker who had just broken up with her boyfriend asked me to be her escort to a wedding recently. Seems she had baby-sat the bride when she was a youngster. Being an agreeable sort and doing nothing else that evening I said yes.
We arrived to discover it was a "Christian" wedding.
The bar served only soft drinks. At the toasts we were given "champagne cocktails" (Orange juice and ginger ale).
The dj called the bride and groom onto the dance floor and the first song was "God Lift Us Up Where We Belong".
I turned to my friend "how much longer do we have to stay"
Reply "another half-hour"
Upon leaving, our first stop was at a bar.

My main problem with people like this is that they don't enjoy their religion, they suffer from it. They then expect everyone else to suffer with them.

Atheists tend to do the same. Mostly by their dismissive contempt whenever the subject of religion comes up.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
My main problem with people like this is that they don't enjoy their religion, they suffer from it. They then expect everyone else to suffer with them.

Atheists tend to do the same. Mostly by their dismissive contempt whenever the subject of religion comes up.
I think you are being unfair here. Ths may be true of some militant atheists but I suspect you have more atheist friends than you realise.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:44

Sounds like a crappy excuse for a wedding!

I disagree with your statement about atheists doing the same, though. I tend to keep very quiet about my beliefs, and I would bet that none of my kids' friends' parents even suspect that I am an atheist. In fact, my son is attending church with a friends' family at this very moment. In general, when other people start talking about religion, I refrain from saying anything at all, for fear of being ostracized. And I would also go so far as to say that atheists in general are not free to speak their minds in social settings to the extent that religious folks are, at least in the U.S.

Just to show you how despised us atheists are, there was a recent poll asking Americans whether they would consider electing a president of various religions. Only 2% answered that they would be willing to an elect an atheist. That poll showed that Americans are less willing to elect an atheist than any other religion, including catholic, jew, and muslim.

Therefore, I save all of my "dismissive contempt" for internet forums where only those intrigued by a thread titled "Are you an atheist" will ever see it, and no-one actually knows me.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I am not surpirised - anyone who beleives they are educationally superior to the majority based on favouring one belief above the other, would seem to be a bad choice of leader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom