Auto Compact and Backup (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:32
G’day all.

This project was first written by someone unknown to me, so if you see your baby here just say so and I will give all due credit.

It was written in Access version 2 (16-bit) and I was asked to convert it to A97 (32-bit) version. A few things have been added to the original along the way.

It is important to note that, if you have multiple versions of Access on your machine, this A2003 version (A2000 file format) should be converted to the highest version you have. It should readily convert to any 32-bit version of Access. It should also convert back to A97 if desired but I can’t really test either.

It now has the ability to select *.accdb and *.accde files but, that again, I can’t really test for sure. When selected, the last directory and file extension are saved for the next selection. They default to CurDir() and ‘.mdb’ if either is not found in tblConfig.

Another note is that, for the purposes of this utility, Access does not look at the file extension. It appears that Access looks at the internal signature of the file and disregards the file extension. Hence, a file with an extension of .accdb will still be regarded as an .mdb file if the internal signature is, in fact, an .mdb file. And that is the only way I could test *.accdb files. So it still needs proper testing on files with an .accdb or .accde extension. It also needs testing into non-trusted locations in versions later than Access 2003.

Most runtime errors are ‘silent’ in that they are logged but allow other backups to be made. Unexpected errors require the shutdown of the application to protect the data. A Report log is available for the ‘silent’ errors but no attempt is made to log the unexpected errors.

This backup utility can be invoked in two ways, from a shortcut on the desktop or as a Windows scheduled task. In both cases the opening Form, frmSplash, starts a timer event. If that timer event times out the backup(s) will be made and the application will shutdown. If you choose to interrupt the timer you can enter setup mode to configure the backup list.

Please note:
You can not use this program to backup this program because this program would be in use while doing so. Please make other arraignments to backup this program.

Tested with:-
Version..............: Access 2003 (Access 2000 file format).
Regional settings.: English, French, German and Portuguese.
References.........: None.
Error handling.....: Global and it is turned on.
.......................: There are two constants in the error handler module:-
.......................: Private Const conCloseOnError As Boolean = True
.......................: Public Const conHandleErrors As Boolean = True
.......................: Please see the comments in module mdlHandleErrors.

Because I would like feedback of failures I will leave this thread open for comments for some period of time. I may not be able to test the failures but, if the comments are specific enough, someone might be able to suggest a fix.

Version 8.1
To adjust for system fore colours.

Regards,
Chris.

Attachments

• Image.PNG
    Image.PNG
    65.6 KB · Views: 4,307
  • AutoBackup.zip
    116.2 KB · Views: 2,347
Last edited:
Status