automate table export (1 Viewer)

kobiashi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:19
hi

i have a sub that exports all tables into an excel spreadsheet, is there any way i can automate this for a specific time of day?

here is my code

Code:
Private Sub btnExportDatabase_Click()
    Dim td As DAO.TableDef, db As DAO.Database
    Dim out_file As String

out_file = "S:\Systems Eng\Rolling Stock\MCU\BACKEND DATABASE DO NOT TOUCH" & "\KADBEBackUp" & Format(Date, "ddmmyyy") & ".xls"

Set db = CurrentDb()
       For Each td In db.TableDefs
         If Left(td.Name, 4) = "MSys" Then
         '// do nothing -- skip
       Else
         DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, _
         td.Name, out_file, True, Replace(td.Name, "dbo_", "")
       End If
       Next
End Sub

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
The answer to this depends on if the database is guaranteed to be open when you want it to run.
If it is, then you could easily use a hidden form timer event to check the the current time against a time window you want the process to run in. Alternatively you could store the last run time in a table and only run the task if that is >24hrs ago for a daily back up.

If it isn't then you could set up a windows scheduled task to open the database using a command line switch to force the function to run via a macro.

Ideally however if the data is really important you should probably look at moving your BE database to a more suitable storage method - SQL Server express is free and has much more robust backup facilities inbuilt.

Last edited:

kobiashi

Registered User.
Local time
thanks for the advice minty

i think i should go for the keep access open option, as some one will always be using it so it'll be open somewhere.

i cant use sql express, which is a shame, but the organisation i work for, the IT department as very reluctant to install software such as that, for example, they have purchased office 365, but refuse to upgrade from 2013.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
If it's multi user and someone will always be logged in, isn't there a risk the task will be duplicated?
In the same situation as you, I created a separate utility to run as a scheduled task on one pc and then close automatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom