Barcode Identifying Macro…. (1 Viewer)

Nano

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:51
Hello, I am seeking a tip on how to add a function to my database. Currently I have a database to track materials for manufacturing. One table holds the raw materials and a different table holds the finished goods. Each has a different barcode indicator for example raw materials would look like this (BC-R####) with the “#” being a digit. Finished goods would look this this: (BC-SD###). Each type has a different form and different needs. Raw goods can use either a 3 or 4 digit number after the indicator letter.

What I would like to do is have an entry that someone can scan or enter a barcode, then the system would check corresponding table either raw materials or finished goods. If a record with a matching barcode is found I would like it to open the record in form view, otherwise I would open a new data entry in form view.

I am sure I can do most of this in “if statements” however I am not sure how to tell the system to identify the barcode by the indicator letters.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:51
Have you already got printed barcodes, you know the ones with vertical lines?

Nano

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:51
Have you already got printed barcodes, you know the ones with vertical lines?

Yes I have, and there are nearly 1,500 records/ items labeled with them. The "vertical lines" as you say are interpreted by a barcode scanner into a set of numbers and/or letters on a computer. I have programed my barcode printer to print them in these formats (BC-SD###) or (BC-R####). If you have not worked with a USB barcode scanner before the computer treats it as if it was typed by a keyboard.

Having Access accept a barcode is easy, and I have been using it for years. My problem is having Access take a text field with 3-4 wildcard digits at the end and cross reference two separate tables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom