barcodes (1 Viewer)

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:52
Does anyone recommend or have any advice for barcodes?

I'm having an issue... I created a barcode on a report. =Trim("*" & [Name] & "*")
The value should read "Sunshine Fire Department"

When I scan it with my barcode scanner, it shows up as "SUNSHINEFIREDEPARTMENT"
All caps and no spaces... I contacted the barcode scanner manufacture and they said my data is that way, that makes no sense.

I'm simply using Barcode 39

Ranman256

Local time
its possible to setup the scan to do different things, like:
add a carriage return at end of scan, or a tab,

could it be you have it set to remove all spaces?
or the like?

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
I sent the barcode to the manufacturer and they said that the barcode created by Access was that way already.
Yes, I know you can set all kinds of things but this is strange...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What is the contents of [Name]?

Just FYI, in addition to not using embedded spaces or special characters, it is important to avoid like the plague, reserved words. "Name" and "Date" are prime offenders. "Name" is a property and EVERY object has a Name property. This will cause conflicts in VBA. "Date" is the name of a commonly used function so if you are not careful, you could end up seeing todays date rather then the date in the date field.

I would change these names sooner rather than later. They are too dangerous to leave. If you use embedded spaces and special characters, they are merely annoying but not dangerous. Using property names and function names is dangerous. Access warns you about them when you create a table but you can blow by the message and Access will accept the names.

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, the field name is actually [Mname] The data there are names of schools.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:52
Hello, Jasmin. Please note that the thread is several months old. Kitty may or may not choose to answer. However, if you have a barcode issue, you can search this forum for BARCODE because I know we have had many posts on this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom