best way to filter using text boxes (1 Viewer)

tommy_mo

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:31
Hello all-

I've seen a few examples on this forum, but I still would like some ideas.

I've got a listbox that I would like to filter based on text boxes. I would like to be able to filter the listbox with any single textbox or a combination of the textboxes. Ideally I would like to be able to be able to filter as the textbox is filled in, but a filter button would work fine too. What it the easiest way to get this done? Cheers! -Tom

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:31
tommy_mo said:
Hello all-

I've seen a few examples on this forum, but I still would like some ideas.

I've got a listbox that I would like to filter based on text boxes. I would like to be able to filter the listbox with any single textbox or a combination of the textboxes. Ideally I would like to be able to be able to filter as the textbox is filled in, but a filter button would work fine too. What it the easiest way to get this done? Cheers! -Tom

Hey Tom,

Filter as the textbox is filled in--is better accomplished using a combo box instead of a listbox.

Using several controls to filter with. You could use cascading combo boxes or you could use text boxes with a command button to perform the actual filtering. The best way that I have found in using several controls to filter a listbox or continuous form with is to use an SQL statement on the rowsource of the control that your going to filter.

Hope this makes sense and helps in some way,
Shane

tommy_mo

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:31
Hey- Thanks for the response. I'm trying a FBQ "how to" and it seems to be working well, but setting up the query is a little bit of a pain. I don't have ay experience with SQL statements. I guess one concern is the time it’s going to take to run the query when the table is filled (about 10,ooo records) any thoughts on that??

Wiz47

Learning by inches ...
Local time
Yesterday, 22:31
tommy_mo said:
Hey- Thanks for the response. I'm trying a FBQ "how to" and it seems to be working well, but setting up the query is a little bit of a pain. I don't have ay experience with SQL statements. I guess one concern is the time it’s going to take to run the query when the table is filled (about 10,ooo records) any thoughts on that??

I have one program that has over 6,000 records and even the complex query that I run on it takes only fractions of a second to complete. I wouldn't worry about a requery on a recordset of 10 thousand or so.

Also, there is an EXCELLENT example in the database examples section of a dynamic textbox filter and sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom