Building a print/email -able report from a search from (1 Viewer)

pixeltin

Local time
Today, 16:43
I have made a table of defects using headings such as System/Subject, Details, Action, Status, Notes, etc.

I have created a form to add defects and search through the list of defects.

The search form contains two text boxes for searching with two keywords i.e first search can be "CCTV" so it brings all records with CCTV then second keyword might be "blank" so it might show all CCTV issues with blank in their description etc.

What I want to do is run a search through my search form and based on the results of that search I would like to produce a report that can do one or all of the following;
  • Produce a new report
  • Print the report
  • Email the report

Optional extras for visual purposes mainly. Is it possible to;
Create a report template so all new reports conform to this format.

Im new to access so if something is obvious and I have not picked up, pardon me :)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:43
I'm not getting all of that. Reports don't create reports. You mean a form to do those things?
Basically, a report is a template. It will look the same each time you open it, save for maybe having different data (which can move certain parts of it up/down). Or are you talking about building several reports that differ in terms of their use, such as sales on one, purchases on another, business kpi's on another, but they all have the same logos, backgrounds, business address, etc.? What's your definition of a report template in this case?

Quite possibly you need to research these topics since each task has its own level of difficulty and there can be several methods of doing any one of them. However, the gist of it is that your form would feed the values to either a query or code that builds a query sql statement, then open the report. Each method has its own advantages/disadvantages. The report needs a record source based on that sql or query in order to show the results and be formatted according to your need. There a 3 ways to open a report, one of which will attempt to send it directly to a printer. Emailing the report would usually be done via code on a form. It's also possible to put a button on a report that can do things, but I don't think it's a popular method. So after all that, maybe you'd agree that research is the key so that you find options that fit your needs, then post back when you get stuck on implementing them. That's my 2 cents.:)

pixeltin

Local time
Hi Micron, yes i agree on the research and I am doing my best but im new to access and dont know what is the best way or what my options are exactly.

So lets keep it simple, can i produce a report from my search form and save it as a PDF or even just save the results of my search but without the header and top part of split form. See attachment.

oi65 . tinypic.com / 2uhacee . jpg

(remove spaces)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Hi Micron, yes i agree on the research

Due to a bug in the forum software this message was "unapproved" (hidden) for some considerable time. I have just approved it. I hope no one has been inconvenience too much! The new forum software no longer has this bug, so this problem should not reoccur.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom