Calculated fields not updating (1 Viewer)

amorosik

Local time
Today, 12:00
I have a continuous form on which the rows of documents such as estimates, invoices, etc. are displayed
In the form header section there is a subform that displays as many lines as there are different tax rates
On the same subform, in the Footer section, I added textboxes to display the totals of the tax, taxable, exempt, etc. value.
These textboxes have the ControlSource property set with a formula like =sum(tax) , as visible from video 3
It worked fine for about six months
For some days, on a single workstation (it's a small network of 5-6 workstations) the calculated textboxes no longer update the display, and consequently the values that depend on their content appear as incorrect, as visible in video 1
I also added video 2 which shows one of the workstations, same LAN network, working properly
Procedure is in accde format, Access 2013, 32bit, os is Windows 10 pro 64bit (the same on other workstation)

The question is: what could cause the failure to update the calculated textboxes of that workstation?

Attachments

• 3_calculated_field_textbox_field.zip
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • 2_calculated_field_ok.zip
    742 KB · Views: 60
  • 1_calculated_field_nok.zip
    889.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:00
Whenever a single copy misbehaves but other copies do not, it is a localized problem that requires looking for differences between the good and bad systems. Sort of like those popular puzzles that ask, "Can you spot six differences between these images?"

1st thought is some type of corruption. Can you update the misbehaving copy easily enough by just downloading a new copy of the app?

2nd thought is whether the misbehaving system and the behaving system have different Windows patch profiles, which you can determine by going to Settings >> Windows Update and find the link for Update History.

3rd thought: A "stopped working" event usually implies that something changed. Was there any technical work done on that system after which things failed? For instance, did that system require re-imaging after a crash? Did someone update a copy of an antiviral package? Did some other security installation occur? Because if so, the Trust Center settings might need refreshing. Along those same lines, is that failure to update the ONLY issue with the misbehaving system? Or do other parts of the app ALSO not work correctly?

amorosik

Local time
1- I've already tried to copy the accde file on the offending pc and no change compared to before

2- yes, whoever administers the system has been entrusted with this thing and I await clarifications

3- Oh yes, clearly something has changed compared to a few days ago, the point is to understand what may have changed that affects the Access counts, certainly no manual update or installation/uninstallation of active programs has been performed, but I do not exclude that some automatism has updated Windows or antivirus components that protect the system

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:00
"A few days ago"... OK, this will sound like an off-the-wall question, but... did the problem start on a Wednesday?

If so, check update history, because Microsoft publishes patches every other Tuesday night. When I was with the U.S. Navy, we used to DREAD coming in on Wednesday mornings because we knew it would be "patch aftermath" day. We never knew what would break the systems but at least every couple of months some really bad patch would pop up and disrupt operations for a long time.

Note that if your IT staff captures or downloads patch files and defers your automated patching to another day, check for the failure to have started after that deferred patch day. It is rare but sometimes the calendar really DOES affect your system in unexpected ways!

amorosik

Local time
With Me.recalc on subform, the textbox now visualize data
But other textbox on main form, connected with subform field via ControlSource properties
=[frmDocumentiRigheIva].[Form]![txtTotaleImponibilePerCodiceIva]
where frmDocumentiRigheIva is the subform name, and txtTotaleImponibilePerCodiceIva is the textbox on the footer section of subform

I think it's important to note that when I move the cursor over the main form body (the grid below) some of the calculated textboxes get updated, as if it 'feels' the cursor over the form body fields

Attachments

• 4_calculated_field_recalc_forced.zip
    995.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom