Cannot go to specified record.. (1 Viewer)

Xx_TownDawg_xX

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:36
I'm sure there is a simple explanation, but i don't know where I made the mistake.

I have a data entry form, that uses qryDataEntry for the record source.

qryDataEntry is comprised of data from several tables. (posting a screenshot)

Everything USED to work fine, but somewhere along the way as I made some changes (primarily because another division in the company LOVED the application, but their version of what was needed added a lot of complexity) by adding additional tables/lookups/links etc.. when I am in the frmDataEntry (see screenshot below) it will no longer let me ADD records. (The dialog box says, "Cannot go to specified record.")

I can upload a blank copy of the database if you want, but if someone can point me to the places I should be looking for the error I would be very grateful.

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
I would first check to see if you managed to get the "Allow Additions" property set to no. You might also open your query and see if you can add records in the query. If you cannot add a record in the query, you won't be able to add one in the form based on the query.

Xx_TownDawg_xX

Registered User.
Local time
I should have said that (in addition to not being able to ad to the form) I also cannot ADD to the query. Sorry.

but as far as "add additions" set to yes..

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 07:36
It would be great if you actually uploaded the pics here on the site so those of use for whom photobucket and other public sharing sites are blocked at work could see them.

Xx_TownDawg_xX

Registered User.
Local time
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize that photobucket was problematic. Better?

Attachments

• additions.jpg
    additions.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 115
  • frmDataEntry.jpg
    frmDataEntry.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 113
  • qryDataEntry.JPG
    qryDataEntry.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 118

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
It helps somewhat but you don't have the query part in there (just the joins) but essentially if you are using all of those tables in your query it won't work because

1. You have a bunch of one to manys and, while you can sometimes do a one-to-many query, it doesn't work with multiple one-to-many situations.

2. Your DepartmentID is not the Primary key in the Departments table and yet it really looks like it should be and then linked to the other table.

3. you should probably be using multiple queries for this (meaning you will need a main form and a subform (or a few subforms).

Xx_TownDawg_xX

Registered User.
Local time
Maybe this will help.

Two attachments. One "doeswork" (from the original dbase), and the other "doesntwork" (from the new modified database).

Attachments

• doesWork.JPG
    doesWork.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 103
  • doesntWork.JPG
    doesntWork.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 108

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
You don't join to multiple tables with Department and Location the way you did. You add the table twice and then link one to one of them and the other to the other table. (don't know if that makes sense, but if not can you upload a copy of your database so we can modify the structure slightly of the relationships/queries?)

Xx_TownDawg_xX

Registered User.
Local time
I know what you are saying. Let me see if that works.

(a few minutes later.. ) SOS -- pls check your private messages.

Last edited:

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 266

Xx_TownDawg_xX

Registered User.
Local time
SOS -- Can I get the file emailed back that you reviewed (and assuming you corrected)? I just need to study this some more so I can understand exactly how to make all this work.

I see, but I can't seem to get it right.

By the way, the reason that tblVendors seems linked to nothing.. is cos it isn't.. yet. When I discovered the relationships error.. I stopped work on the project until I could try to figure it out.. You are looking at a work in progress.. on several levels..

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
I brought it with me to work so I could check everything over and ensure it is working. I have a meeting in a little while so once that is over I might be able to get to it, unless I actually have some work to do :D.

Xx_TownDawg_xX

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you thank you thank you.. I was sitting here working on it.. even made a BLANK database and brought over only four of the tables to see if I could change the keys and make it all work.. the database application hates me apparently..

Xx_TownDawg_xX

Registered User.
Local time
Everything is fixed. I don't completely understand why?.. but when I started with a blank dbase, and imported the tables/queries etc all over again.. it works like it's supposed to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom