Can't find various things (1 Viewer)

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:16
If a Form insists on displaying a message (looks like an OK msgbox) and just repeats forever forcing a Cntl-Alt-Del to end task (Access), is there any other way of quitting (without Ending task) ?

Please, Where is Hide/Unhide to determine what fields are displayed in a datasheet Form. I have seen it, but can't find it anymore?
I'm told Right-click the menu bar at the top of the Navigation Pane, and then click Navigation Options. In the Navigation Options dialog box, select the Show Hidden Objects check box, and then click OK. but I can't find or identify the Menu Bar is OR the bloody Navigation bar and have right clicked everywhere.

Later I find:
Right-click any column header, and then click Unhide Fields on the shortcut menu.

This must be bs, because as soon as the mouse pointer is over a column header it acquires a down-pointing arrow.
R-clicking this just highlights that field. A further r-click does nothing.
How do you really get to Hide/Unhide a column PLEASE???

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:16
So many questions....

If the form is displaying a message that won't go away, you have a bug/error that you cannot bypass. Which means you weren't finished debugging that routine and you just found a new bug.

The inability to get the right-click operation to show you hide/unhide, coupled with your repeating message box, tells me that you went into the File >> Options >> Current Database (and possibly Options >> Client Settings, not sure about that one). You "locked down" the DB prematurely.
Or at least that is what it looks like to me. The problems you are facing are all due to trying to lock down something that wasn't ready for a lock down.

Understand, it surely COULD be something else - but going from your description, I'm telling you what I think.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Doc_man,
So few solutions...

The message that forced an End task was a mistake caused while debugging. I was just wondering if any way to get out of it (other than End task) existed. That's not related to my second question.
The search for Hide/Unhide goes on, and rather irritating, as I have used/seen it lots of times but can't find it today. No Google hits are any good (so far). No, I had not gone File-Options anything. Should I have? I'm pretty sure it's a magic click who-knows-where either in DesignMode or maybe runtime, to bring up that menu. Hopefully someone will know what I mean and be able to help.
I'm assuming Hide/Unhide is what I want - where a database Form field you don't is suppressed. The query the Form is based on, if opened, shows many more fields than in the Form, so they must to hidden somehow.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Perhaps a new approach...
Have attached a db, when the Form is Opened the control 'txtEnginer' is not present or showing like all the rest are.

Why ?

It is in the query the Form is based on and is bound.

Thanks. Have been trying to figure it out for over 12 hours!

Attachments

• Database12.accdb
    572 KB · Views: 472

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:16
Your issue is nothing to do with the navigation pane.

You had disabled the shortcut menu both on the properties sheet and using code which is somewhat OTT.
Re-enable the shortcut menu and the dropdown arrows will be shown. Next right click anywhere on the datasheet and select Unhide Fields.
You will see txtEnginer is unticked. Tick it to make the field visible

ADIGA88

Local time
Today, 14:16
Indeed it's the shortcut property of the form.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Whew, many thanks for letting me know. I hadn't altered the shortcut property myself but I knew a left click had other uses (in this Form).
But I don't remember shortcut being an issue when other fields were added before. (Maybe they were not hidden ?)
Looking for the Hide/Unhide menu was the right call, at least. Jeez this was frustrating!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:16
You're welcome

I hadn't altered the shortcut property myself
Well...it was set to No in the property sheet and in the Form_Open event ....both of which were done by someone :rolleyes:

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Oh yes, but not me! I *did* rem out the Form_Open command without realising it was also set in properties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom