Cant get Access upsizing wizard to work to load Access2010 DB to hosted SQL server (1 Viewer)

GMC7000

Local time
Today, 12:31
I am a complete novice, but really want to learn.

I have a standalone PC running Win7 64 bit and Access 2010 32 bit

Installed SQL Server Express (SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU - supposedly the file to download for a 32bit installation on a 64 bit PC - learned this one the hard way after I couldn't even SEE the DSN in Access 2010).

I open my DB in Access 2010, select DB tools and "SQL".
I have to choose "existing database" (my webhosting service requires I set it up on their site).
Then select the system DSN I created (was finally able to create a system DNS I could see by running C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe as administrator)

Access asks me for my password (which is movement from where I was a couple of days ago!), and then I get this error:

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL server does not exist or access denied.
When I press "OK" I get the following message:
"The upsizing wizard does not work with the version of Microsoft SQL Server to which your Access project is connected. See the Microsoft Office Update Web site for the latest information and downloads". I go to MS Office Update, and it says to run the Windows Update, which I've done (only updates were bing and Internet Explorer)

I tried the migration assistant and successfully got the tables up on the hosted SQL server, so I know the tables can get upsized when I use a different tool (i.e. not Access).

But what I want is to split the DB, put the BE on the SQL server, then have the FE linked via ODBC. (or at least that's what the books/forums lead me to believe I want - idea is for me and 4 other users to be able to open/edit DB from our respective laptops across the state).

Can anyone help me figure out why I can't get the Access upsizing wizard to work? Or if there is a workaround to accomplish the end game (ie linking my Access FE to the BE tables I can get on the server with the standalone migration tool)?

Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 11:31
Have you tried the Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access? It is a free tool. I have had great luck with it and at this point wouldn't consider anything else.

It is worth noting that I use the SQL Server Native Client 11.0 (free) that is built around the ODBC driver. You can find some of mine and many other post on DSN-Less connections.
What ever you use, let me suggest using code to link your tables via code.

From my experience, designing local tables in Access, testing the application, then using the Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (with SQL Server Native Client 11.0) is great. All the datatypes and other settings just migreate easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom