Can't save nested queries (or sub query) (1 Viewer)

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:44
Hello,

I don't like to have have too many queries in my dbs, so I write nested queries whenever I can.

For some reason though Access fails every time I try. It will run the query fine and even display properly in design mode after I've written it, but as soon as I try to save it an error message comes up stating that "Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close." and asks if I want to send an error report and then prompts me to make a backup of the db.

This isn't urgent (just annoying because I have to write many mini-queries now) but a solution or some insight would be helpful!

I know that when Access creates subqueries it uses square brackets and a period - but that did not seem to work either. I also tried creating one in Access 2000 (I'm using XP now) and using databases on both my hard and network drives.

Thanks in advance,
-Sean

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Jet doesn't handle subqueries very well. They are also slower than separated nested queries.

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the reply Pat.

I did notice that subqueries are much slower in Access than in other dbs I've used, but at least they used to work. I'm not sure exactly when they stoped working, so I thought I'd ask to see if one of the latest Office updates might be the culprit ...?

Thanks again,
-Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom