Change order of columns (not text) to left to right (1 Viewer)

ramblon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:16
Hi I have Access 2016, my default language is English but I also have Hebrew installed. My tables are displaying the columns from right to left - as you can see from the attached jpg. How can I change the column order to display from left to right.
Thanks for any help access-tbl-rtl.JPG

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 14:16
Use a query to view the data.

ramblon

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for this.
Is there any Access Options that I can apply to the whole database to change the column order of tables, I have over 50 tables - don't want to write a query for each one.
Thanks

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 14:16
You do not need to be looking at tables, all data entry should be done with forms. Even if you had 50 tables I doubt you would ever look at more than a handful.
In table design view reorder your fields as desired. Why did you put them in that order if you did not want to see them in that order.
You code write code to reorder all the tables. Loop the tabledefs, loop the fields, reassign the position. Pseudo code.
Code:
For each tbl  tableDefs in 
 FieldCount = tbl.fields.count
   For I = 0 to fieldCount - 1
     tbl.fields(i).position = FieldCount - I - 1
   next i
next tbl

ramblon

Registered User.
Local time
Hi MajP, Thanks for your help.
This is actually an old mdb database that I created over 20 years ago. I just need to extract some data from it to upload to a website we're creating. Anyway I'm using the tables as they are - Right to left. Just had to re orientate myself.
Thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:16
If you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted to do this, you can go into Table Design view and do a Drag-and-drop to change field order in a table, even if it is populated. If you do this, I would immediately thereafter perform a Compact&Repair on that DB.

ramblon

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Happy Curmudgeon,
Thanks for this, I've exported what I needed to Excel so all's well.
I'm just curious why there isn't a setting to reverse the table column order from left to right.
Thanks from another happy old (as in COBOL programs on punched cards) granddad

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:16
I'm just curious why there isn't a setting to reverse the table column order from left to right.

Because you can write a query to put the columns in any order you want. So why put a special-case control in place when you can EASILY allow for placement of fields in any order you want?

ramblon

Registered User.
Local time
In English speaking countries the system defaults to left to right display and that can usually be changed to right to left for systems using rtl languages

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:16
You can also reorder the fields in table datasheet view using drag and drop

EDIT
l see from the similar threads below that you asked the same question back in October last year … and I answered it then

ramblon

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Colin thanks for taking the time to check.
In this case the answer was Table > Design View > Property Sheet > Orientation > ltr

Funny nobody suggested that

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Actually, I did in fact mention orientation left-to-right property in post #9 of the previous thread back in October 😏
Originally I said that for forms but have now edited my old reply to include tables as well.

ramblon

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks colin, much appreciated.
Was wondering if there's a way to set properties like orientation globally so it will automatically be applied to orientation in all table property sheets.
Thanks

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Did you try what I wrote in post #9 in the other thread?
In the form/table property sheet, change the orientation to left to right.
To make this the default for all new datasheets, do the same under default direction in Access options client settings

ramblon

Registered User.
Local time
I'm talking about globally changing orientation for all existing tables not new datasheets

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In general, global settings do not affect existing objects though I would still try this if you haven't already done so.
Try looping through all tables resetting the orientation property.
You will need to research the specific code required yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom