ChatGPT is making me mad (1 Viewer)

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 02:29
I don't know about you guys, but I've become pretty good at spotting bot content. I've tested AI tools so much that now my human brain can easily recognize a few of them. You know the term "uncanny valley"? yeah, exactly like that. It's also like knowing exactly what a friend or coworker will say before they even say it. But honestly, it's getting on my nerves. I can't stand it anymore. I come to places like this because I want to read solutions engineered by real humans, not some overly human-like robots. They just don't have that genuine human touch.

I may have overused the thing, but there will come a time when a lot of people will recognize these tools like I do, I'm no special mf. I came to this realization the other day when I was generating business ideas for a relative, I just couldn't stand ChatGPT's suggestions and then I went into the wild, googling, expecting to find some inspiration and the best positioned results had ChatGPT content. I knew it because I saw the same patterns that I didn't like while using the tool.

When I saw that stack overflow banned ChatGPT content, I thought it was exaggerated, but now I think they did the right thing. If you're going to generate answers with a tool like ChatGPT or its growing competitors, test, verify, give it some thought, make it better and then post your reply. Add a link to the tool if you want, but why post the output of it if you can just click regenerate and get a new one every time within the tool? To me, it looks like noise, seriously.

Just a little rant.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:29
Edgar,
I agree, but, if the major source material for any of the AI tools was to scour the internet and social media, then it is somewhat predictable that a general "Google/Bing' search vs a chat tool request will give similar results.

Edgar_

Local time
The results are indeed similar, but my problem is that I think there is a dangerous homogenization of ideas coming from the usage of these tools. Posting their raw outputs in forums like this is not genuine help, in my opinion. It's nice that it gives us ideas, but we should be more critical of them, a lot more skeptic.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Can't say that you are wrong, Edgar. A few times we see a response that looks suspiciously like AI chat, and I have even called down users who have responded to questions with a clearly AI-generated answer. But when you look at the problem with a ZEN approach, you have to realize that it IS, that it exists, and the question must then devolve into "what must be done about it?" That is the problem for each of us.

To be honest, I was searching for some AI art sites because as an amateur writer, I was hoping for something that would help me illustrate one of my books. But so far, no luck, because there is a limit on the descriptive strings you can use.

Edgar_

Local time
I guess we must learn to live with it.

AI art is another one of those that I've used a lot. I could recommend a tool called Automatic1111, its Stable Diffusion model and the immense variety of models generated from it can help you with that task. There are a number of ways to use the tool, you can download it and see if it runs on your computer or you can find a Google Colab notebook that lets you run it. I could assist you if you're interested, but it's best to run it in one of those two ways, because you get a lot of freedom, as opposed to what AI art sites let you do and how they limit you. Let me know if you need assistance.

Worth mentioning for the sake of the thread that AI art is also recognizable, but for some reason it does not bother me as much as the AI chat.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The biggest barrier for me would be that AI-generated art cannot be copyrighted. Or at least that is what various sites say that I looked at.

Edgar_

Local time
Maybe it can't be copyrighted if the output is exactly as it was generated. But I doubt any serious publishing of imagery will go untouched, that is, without at least some post-production and treatment, as well as polishing. By the way, the tool that I mentioned has features that let you mask portions of the image where you want something to appear, letting you create any composition you want. More over, if you then go to an image editing software and remove all evidence of it being created by a tool, who's to say it's not your art?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Haven't delved that deeply yet, because at the moment I'm struggling with a mid-story transition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom