Check Boxes (1 Viewer)

HD20

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:43
I have a subform with a drop down box containing about five items, however I have had a request to have check boxes for the items instead since one customer can have more than one of the items. Currently it is set up as a continuos form so they just keep selecting from the drop down box.

Is there a way to use multiple check boxes but have them feed into just one field (creating a new record as each one is checked)? Would it be better to create a separate field for each of the five items on the list and have the checkbox indicate yes/no as the item is selected?

Thanks in advance for your input.

rockman

Local time
Yesterday, 17:43
I'd go with a separate boolean (yes/no) field for each of the selections. It would be possible to develop code to store the information in one field but I see no benefits to doing that way.

IMHO,

Jeff

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Yesterday, 19:43
Keep in mind that you're denormalizing your form

To quote The_Doc_Man (I think), "Your customer is always right, it's true. However just because they know what they want doesn't mean that they know how to tell you what they want."

Think about the decision to store all the dropdown items as separate fields. Think about how you'll get data into reports, queries, etc. Now, think about what happens if you have to add a sixth item. How many queries, reports, and code modules will you have to change to accomodate that new 'field'?

The five options are, presently, part of the same field, and your subform lists that field in continuous manner, right? To get anything near to the same functionality with checkboxes and separate fields you're going to have to run Append/Delete Queries off of Click events, load and check the values of your fields when you load a record, and modify the whole shebang any time your checkbox list changes.

Try to find out what they object to with the current setup, exactly. Perhaps there is a compromise solution that will keep them happy without making you lose your sanity.

HD20

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:43
Thanks for the input David. I guess I just needed a valid reason why the checkboxes are not the best solution and you have provided just that. I will continue to work with the drop down box and hopefully, like you said, come up with a sort of comprimise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom