Check value of a combo box (1 Viewer)

jesus_hairdo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:06
I have 2 combo boxes on a form,
when a value from box 1 (called Combo68) is selected this changes the values in box2 (called Combo70). (or more correctly changes the source sql script).

using this code,
-----------------
Private Sub Combo68_AfterUpdate()
Me.Combo70.RowSourceType = "Table/Query"
Me.Combo70.RowSource = "SELECT [tbl_category_complaint_type].[complaint_type] FROM [tbl_category_complaint_type] where [tbl_category_complaint_type].[category] = '" & Me.Combo68.Value & "';"

End Sub
--------------
This works fine on a new record, but when i go to an existing record box2 (combo70) shows the correct field value, BUT the combo box list shows the entries from the last new record.
I tried using this code
-----------------
Private Sub Combo70_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
If IfEmpty(Me.Combo68.Value) Then
Me.Combo70.RowSourceType = "Value List"
Me.Combo70.RowSource = "Select Category first"

Else
Me.Combo70.RowSourceType = "Table/Query"
Me.Combo70.RowSource = "SELECT [tbl_category_complaint_type].[complaint_type] FROM [tbl_category_complaint_type] where [tbl_category_complaint_type].[category] = '" & Me.Combo68.Value & "';"
End If

End Sub
------------------------
However, all that happens is that the combo box2 (combo70) lists "select category first" regardless of whether the 1st combo box(combo68) has a value or not if no new/updated records have been entered. If a new/updated record has been entered it shows that records' values.

The Basic idea being that when entering a new record combo70 just reads "Select category first" (combo68), then when i select a value in combo68, combo70's values change.
if its an existing record with a value of combo68 it just uses that and selects the correct values

any ideas ??

cheers

Travis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:06
You need to add code on the Forms Current Event to launch the code you have on the AfterUpdate event of Combo68.

jesus_hairdo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:06
Thanks that works well if you are viewing an existing record.
For a new record I want it to say "select category first" rather than have an empty combo box (as the select query returns no values)

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom