Chisled effect characters (1 Viewer)

!Blue

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:24
On a Form - if I have a Label attached to a Control (say Textbox) and I set the Control property Enabled=False - the text in the Label appears faint & chisled - all well & good...

Q: Anyone know how to create this same effect in a Label that is not attached to a Control..?

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:24
closest i can get is special effect = etched (only does the border) and a med-grey font. don't know how to get the text etched/chiseled.

!Blue

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for having a go wazz - but obviously not what I was after... appears to be a tricky one that might seem easy on the surface... new ideas - anyone..?

fredalina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:24
Sorry I can't give you what you want, but realistically you're not going to find a true "Enabled=False" in a stand-alone label because a label does not have any actions associated with it. "Enabled=False" means that the action associated with that object is turned off. A command button is not eligible to be clicked, for example, and a text box will not accept text. A label doesn't have any actions, so there's nothing to turn off.

I don't know why you would want to disable something that doesn't have any abilities. If it's simply the formatting appearance you're after, could you perhaps create identical labels with one just behind the other in a slightly different position that is lighter that creates the etched appearance? It's not true "Enabled=False" but it might give a similar appearance.

midmented

DP Programmer
Local time
Today, 15:24
I don't know of a way without associated controls BUT:

I've done this by:
Making an unbound Textbox
Textbox width to 0
Special Effect to flat
Border and Background to transparent
Tab Stop to 'no'
Disable The Textbox.

This hides the textbox and lets the label open for whatever.

!Blue

Registered User.
Local time
Hi fredalina, thanks also for having a go - I'm aware I'm not going to find Enabled=False for a Label - thats not the focus of what I'm trying to do... the effect is the focus. I want its behaviour & appearance to match that of another Label on the Form that is attached to a control that is enabled/disabled from time to time...

I'm aware there are less elegant workarounds - I was just hoping someone would pop up and say - 'ah Yes - this is how you do it...' but it now looks like Access performs this trick via methods/properties that are not available to the developer....

!Blue

Registered User.
Local time
Midmented - thanks - this appears to be the best workaround for all practical purposes - setting the control width to 0 seem to prevent the user from accidently placing the cursor in the control (I tried hard - but couldn't do it...)

Being a bit of a pureist - I don't like having seemingly redundent items in my code but at the mo there appears to be no other way...

Once again - many thanks for your efforts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom