Clear Contents In Excel & Transfer Sprdsht (1 Viewer)

HeelNGville

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:10
Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I currently have a DB in which a "transferspreadsheet" function is called and 2 tables are transferred to a "template" workbook in MS Excel named PM Upload. The tables transferred to Excel are (1) Listings & (2) Details. This is fine.

What I am struggling with is this. Prior to the transferspreadsheet function, I need to clear the contents of both worksheets (Listings & Details) & then save/close the excel file.

Through Access, how can I open & bypass the "enable macros" message, clear contents of both worksheets (Details & Listings) and then proceed with transferspreadsheet function.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:10
You could simply delete the worksheets and create new ones. This is a quick method and this way you make sure that everything was deleted. However if you need the formulas's on this sheet, you can select the complete sheet (Cells.Select) and delete the range (Selection.ClearContents).

The only way you can bypass the "enable macro's" message is lowering the security level of your Access macro's.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

HeelNGville

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I cannot delete as the spreadsheet that I am transferring to contains code that performs multiple functions once the data is transferred. Any other suggestions?

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I cannot delete as the spreadsheet that I am transferring to contains code that performs multiple functions once the data is transferred. Any other suggestions?
Read the "However" part.

HeelNGville

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, got that. However, being somewhat "green" with VB, I was uncertain how to clear contents of both worksheets.

The following works well for a single sheet, however I am not certain how to incorporate VB language to clear data from both worksheets.

Thanks in advance.

Dim xlApp As New Excel.Application
Dim xlwrkBk As Excel.Workbook
Dim xlSheet As Excel.Worksheet

Set xlwrkBk = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\My Documents\PM Upload.xls")

Set xlSheet = xlwrkBk.Worksheets("Details")

xlSheet.Rows("1:30000").Delete

xlwrkBk.Save
xlwrkBk.Close

Set xlSheet = Nothing
Set xlwrkBk = Nothing

xlApp.Quit

Set xlApp = Nothing

MsgBox "Done"

End Sub

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Try this.

Code:
    Dim xlApp As New Excel.Application
    Dim xlwrkBk As Excel.Workbook
    Dim xlSheet As Excel.Worksheet

Set xlwrkBk = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\My Documents\PM Upload.xls")

Set xlSheet = xlwrkBk.Worksheets("Details")

xlSheet.Cells.Select
    xlApp.Selection.ClearContents

xlwrkBk.Save
    xlwrkBk.Close

Set xlSheet = Nothing
    Set xlwrkBk = Nothing

xlApp.Quit

Set xlApp = Nothing

MsgBox "Done"

End Sub

HeelNGville

Registered User.
Local time
Received "Compile Error, User Defined type not defined".

Thanks for your help, I will approach this from a different angle. Just thought it would be efficient to automate as much as possible.

Thanks again.

HeelNGville

Registered User.
Local time
Just a thought, but is it possible to create a function in Access that would allow the Excel template to be copied/pasted?

This would allow for a "blank" formatted template to exist, then the code would be directed to the path that the template was stored, copy it and paste with a new name. Once completed, the transferspreadsheet would run and transfer data into new workbook.

Is this a possibility?

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Here's my sample database.
It works.
Check your references.

Attachments

• db1.zip
    10 KB · Views: 435

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Just a thought, but is it possible to create a function in Access that would allow the Excel template to be copied/pasted?

This would allow for a "blank" formatted template to exist, then the code would be directed to the path that the template was stored, copy it and paste with a new name. Once completed, the transferspreadsheet would run and transfer data into new workbook.

Is this a possibility?
Yes, you can try that as well.

HeelNGville

Registered User.
Local time
Can you share the code for the copy/paste functionality? Assuming the file you are copying is:

C:/My Documents/Test.xls

New pasted file would be
C:/My Documents/Test2.xls

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom