Close without saving button? (1 Viewer)

nrgu

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:30
I have a form that is used to create or update a new table, and 2 buttons, save, and close w/o saving, however I can't seem to make close w/o saving work? The table gets updated as soon as focus changes. I'm not sure how to implement this, any help appreciated :)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:30
Use the Before Update event of the form and set the parameter 'Cancel' to True if you don't want to save.

ericryd

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:30
vBaInet's way seems easier, but here's the work around I made up... Discard sets a specific field to blank, and then I have a scrub query that runs in a macro to delete any row with that field blank.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:30
vBaInet's way seems easier, but here's the work around I made up... Discard sets a specific field to blank, and then I have a scrub query that runs in a macro to delete any row with that field blank.

Why allow the creation of junk records and then have to take the extra steps to clean up something that is preventable?

ericryd

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:30
Why allow the creation of junk records and then have to take the extra steps to clean up something that is preventable?

For me it works as I am logging any time anyone goes to the form and enters data. My way still captures that log.

I'm sure there is a better way, i'm still pretty new to access....

by no means am I saying do it my way, just sharing a work around I use.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:30
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with ghudson! Ericryd's approach is absurd, and muddying the situation here by posting it is irresponsible and shows a lack of professionalism on his/her part!

karysmithers

Local time
Today, 07:30
Use the Before Update event of the form and set the parameter 'Cancel' to True if you don't want to save.
Sorry to be blonde but if I want to do this as a macro in the Before Update event what command should i use?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Welcome to the forum!

I don't use macros but you will need to create a set of conditions. It's easier in code, i.e. Event Procedure.

karysmithers

Local time
Today, 07:30
Welcome to the forum!

I don't use macros but you will need to create a set of conditions. It's easier in code, i.e. Event Procedure.

Ok thanks, have done so but thought I may be missing something. :)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
No you didn't :) You can use either. VBA is more powerful than macros.

Happy developing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom