Cloud-based solutions (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:36
Or charge more because you are building a web app when a client/server app is probably more appropriate or a client/server app running in Citrix because you have off-site users:)

Local time
Today, 15:36
You guys have some issues... Take some meds or something, that passive aggressive behavior can't be good for your health.

amorosik

Local time
Today, 22:36
You guys have some issues... Take some meds or something, that passive aggressive behavior can't be good for your health.

Don't worry, your approach is the optimal one (and I would say the obvious one) to perfectly fulfill the request of the first post
You have to keep in mind that many users answering you may have little or no experience with other development environments and therefore may tend to use the same tool even when it would be better to use another one, this is perfectly normal behavior
See the example of using an Access procedure via rdp instead of creating a web-native one, with all the obvious cons of the case
Furthermore, the fact that a part of the project can be recommended for use via the web does not imply that the question/answer has been posted in the wrong forum
It could very well be that the classic management software is created with Access+DbServer and the ecommerce part is made visible from Apache+Php that connect to the same data as the main management system, this is obviously a trivial example
But many other examples could be given of projects that integrate different technologies, and they would all be perfectly legitimate

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 21:36
Thank you for these valued pieces of advice. Definitely some leads to look into.

Will post further queries when I have done more research.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:36
No one has attacked you. It was you who was recommending abandoning Access without even analyzing the requirements. I was only pointing out that that was a pretty big and expensive step and it was better to look at the ACTUAL use cases to determine how much of the app needed to be available in the cloud. Maybe Citrix wouldn't solve the problem. But you should at least look at it. When you start from scratch, that's a different situation.
I will advice a strategy to learn web development instead of adapting to a new platform which will also require learning.
@Lightwave 's initial suggestion was quite useful. As was your's and the other two. I only object to your throw the baby out with the bathwater suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom