Colin Powell (1 Viewer)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 17:22
I have always thought that C.P would have made a good Presidential Canidate - see belwo ( a straight copy form BBC)

your thoughts ?

Former US Secretary of State Colin Powell has called for the immediate closure of the US military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Speaking on US television, Mr Powell said detainees held there should be transferred to prisons in the US.

He also called for the abolition of the military tribunal system, saying terror suspects should face trial under existing US federal laws.

In 2003, Mr Powell made the case for the war against Iraq to the UN.

"If it were up to me I would close Guantanamo not tomorrow but this afternoon," Mr Powell told US NBC's Meet the Press television programme.

"Essentially, we have shaken the belief the world had in America's justice system by keeping a place like Guantanamo open and creating things like the military commission

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
I've always thought he was a stand up guy, and one of the few people in the Bush administration who had any professional ethics. That's probably why he's no longer part of the cabinet...I doubt he'd consider running for the big job though, or if he is, he's waiting too long to throw his hat into the ring.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
If every politician lived up to their proposed plans and promises...

...half of them wouldnt have a job and the other half would actually be working hard!;)

GaryPanic

Local time
yeah i ve seen him as a stand up bloke ...

R

Rich

Funny how he didn't complain when he was part of the regime that inflicted this crap on the world in the first place:rolleyes:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Funny how he didn't complain when he was part of the regime that inflicted this crap on the world in the first place:rolleyes:

Actually I think that he probably did complain but no one heard it because it was better for the general polulation if the administration was censored in order to make the chief not look like such a complete idiot.:eek:

R

Rich

Actually I think that he probably did complain but no one heard it because it was better for the general polulation if the administration was censored in order to make the chief not look like such a complete idiot.:eek:

But the rest of the enlightened world knew he was an idiot even before the first election:confused:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 01:22
Powell has got no hope of being Prez - he'd never get elected by the populace and he must know it. Hilary C is in the same boat but for other discriminatory reasons.

Col

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Colin Powell is a military man accustomed to advancement based on merit. This is clearly not the case in American politics.
In American politics advancement is a function of how many *&^%s you can %^$k and how many other !*%$s you can buy.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time

Yep, because when you criticize your boss, no matter how right you are, you can find yourself out in the dust bin rather quickly. If you wait until you are outta there, then you can't suffer as many repercussions.

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 20:22
Former General Powell is a graduate of West Point. Duty Honor Country is the motto of that institution.

Powell sold a line of lies to the UN and the world about the terror situation. As soon as he discovered they were lies he resigned. The sign of an honest and honorable man.

GaryPanic

Local time
just as a sample from the guys who have responded - it looks as if we all agreed that he's a halfway decent man, worthy of the respect he has
whoever gets into power in the next term would be best advised to get him on board, as either the foreign office (or what ever its called) or as a high ranking offical in the front line of the press - .
g

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Sadly I dont think he will fit in to any where... Unfortunately there is NO country being wholly governed by administrators who can be considered halfway decent or worthy of respect... heck I cant even think of a major corporation that has leadership with those qualities... :eek:

...maybe he needs a career change, with those qualities he would fit in with freelance IT people...;)

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 20:22
Exerpt from a letter from Harry Truman to his daughter Margaret:

"In order to be successful as President, a man can not live the Sermon on the Mount. He can not be his own mentor.
He must be a despot, a Borge, a Machiavelli, an unctious religio to be successful, so I probably won't be.
But I'm having a lot of fun trying the opposite approach. Maybe it will catch on."

That was a president Colin Powell could have worked for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom