Combining similar but not identical fields (1 Viewer)

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
Today, 09:40
I've been looking about and was wondering if it is possible to make a report based off a query that would combine fields that are closely related but not the exact same. My example is, I have parts :

BM 2K A
BM 2K B
BM 2K A Type 2
BM 2K B Type 2
(these items go from 1K all the way to 12K)

Each one has 7 fields that would have to be added together and give me one total in a single row i.e. BM 2K Totals at the bottom of their respective section. I know that I can group by a unique identifier (in my case the Job) but can I group by depth after that and have the 2K be separated from the 4Kand so on, easily? If not I'll just move onto the next section on the database. I am using Access 2007 on Windows XP

JamesMcS

Keyboard-Chair Interface
Local time
Today, 14:40
Not 100% sure what you're getting at here, but my first thought was about creating different "keys" for different levels of data - as in "BM" as one, "BM2K" as the next level, "BM2KA" as the third and so on. That way you could run totals for each level of detail, just running queries and grouping by these "keys". Is that what you mean?

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
I think I get what you are saying, I need to have some form of common key that will tell access what to base the grouping option on, once I do that then I can do subtotals and an overall total at the end of the report.

JamesMcS

Keyboard-Chair Interface
Local time
I think that's the way to go.... have a crack at it and let us know how you get on

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I think I get what you are saying, I need to have some form of common key that will tell access what to base the grouping option on, once I do that then I can do subtotals and an overall total at the end of the report.
Could you explain the highlighted bit? I don't follow.

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
Well my first idea is to add a column in the table that stored the types that would say BM2K, BM3K ect for each one this way I can make a group header that will put all like items together (if that makes any sense)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Don't worry about your idea for now. I just don't understand what you want to achieve. That's what I need explained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom