Combo Boz Question RE: Row Source/Inherit Value List Properties (1 Viewer)

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:46
I created a combo box on a form bound to a table field, and I created my own list. I realized later that I left a member off the list. After much fiddling around, I finally was able to fix the Row Source after I changed the Inherit Value List property to "No". Creating a new combo box carried the inheritance, making fresh copies of the form and table with the same names carried the inheritance, making copies with different names did not carry the inheritance until I renamed them back to the original names, then the inheritance came back. So I must assume that the original (in this case incorrect) Row Source is somehow stored and retained for that table field in the database under the hood somewhere I can't find. Is there a way to fix a mistake like this without changing the Inherit Property?

Ranman256

Local time
do NOT use value lists (for that reason)
Access is table driven. Put everything in a table.
add new value to the table, boom, the list is updated.

No inherit needed.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you create the value list on the table and set the inherit property to yes, combos on forms should see new entries the next time the form is opened (the form needs to be closed in order for the table to be changed).

Copying a control should copy all the attributes but NOT the event code so I'm not sure what problem you were having.

And finally, i agree with Ranman, it is far better to use tables to hold your RowSource data, especially if the list can be expanded. A table can also be used to enforce RI and prevent used items from being deleted from the RowSource's table.

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, and this is the first time I've ever done it this way. The list values will never change, so I figured this was the one time it would be OK to do. As I said, I found a workaround. I'm more curious how the list gets tied to the table field forever. Among the things I tried were to temporarily enable the "Allow Value List Edits" property, and add the missing member, which allows the change, but the combo box doesn't reorder the values, so you end up with 1,2,3,4,6,5, which doesn't make any sense either.
EDIT* I didn't set the properties via the table, the field is just a number field. I then created the combo on the form side, and messed up when I created the list. I just did it the other way, in the table design side, and used the lookup properties to create a combo box and associated value list with an intentional mistake. It acts the same way. *EDIT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom