Common Dialog: Choose Font (1 Viewer)

ListO

Señor Member
Local time
Today, 11:30
Does anyone have a template for an API call to the ChooseFont of Windows Common Dialog? I've searched everywhere I can think of and have only encountered examples which don't really work. I can get the OpenFile and SaveFile to work, but I can find next-to-nothing on ChooseFont.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't know of any. What's the purpose of this by the way? You want it to be a pop-up or on a menubar?

ListO

Señor Member
Local time
I want this to be a pop-up. I had been using the common dialog ActiveX object, but this is not working correctly for a couple of my users who are running Windows on Macs. Some research through the Microsoft knowledge base leads me to believe that MS is discouraging use of the Active X object for this. I did a couple of tests with my windows / Mac users calling common dialogs for Open and Save, and they worked without problems.

I just can't find enough information on how these APIs are supposed to be called. It's almost as fun as learning how to create ribbons.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I will go with the ribbon approach to be honest. The filing system in macs is different from that of Windows and also the way they handle fonts are different (as you know). I know it's a multi-OS computer but it's a mac machine right? Which is probably why you're having problems. The other SAVE and OPEN dialog will work because that's intuitive between both OS'.

If you have a Sharepoint server you could get those with multi-OS' to use it via the Sharepoint server.

If however you're keen on getting a custom ribbon up and running, have a look at these very good links:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338202.aspx
http://www.accessribbon.de/en/index.php?Welcome

All you do is include it in the ribbon.

ListO

Señor Member
Local time
No.

The problems are across the board for all common dialog calls using the ActiveX object.

I'm not having any special problems with the API call for the ChooseFonts, except that I cannot find the information required to make the call correctly. I can't get it to work on my Windows machine either. I think you're putting a lot of stock in the differences between mac and pc here. And I don't want to have to redesign this application any more just to accomodate the upgrades given to us by Microsoft.

I'm just asking for some help here in getting the API call right. Using the Ribbon in this particular application is clumsy, ugly, cluttering and unnecessarily graphical. I'm using the Ribbon in a lot of other places in the application, but for this it is wrong. When I re-write the entire application from scratch, I'll probably use the ribbon for this particular choice. For now I just want the silly little dialog to pop up and return the chosen parameters.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
So you've actually written something already but it's just not working? It would be difficult to finding an API for that specific purpose and APIs aren't a one minute programming task.

Did you have a look in the Code Repository section of this forum?

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Hey,

what about the attached? i found it a while ago after extensive searching....

enjoy

nidge

Attachments

• ChooseFontorColorDialogs.zip
    82.3 KB · Views: 291

ListO

Señor Member
Local time
Yes! Exactly what I need. Thank you very much for that. I haven't gotten a chance to study the code, but it looks to be what I'm seeking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom