Question Compatibility Issues - Alternative to Access (And how to get there) (1 Viewer)

shepHeard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:20
I have quite an extensive Access (2003) database stored on a shared server. However, new staff PCs are being rolled out with Office 2010, which is causin no end of problems. Further, there are several Mac users around who can't use the database at all.

I don't really have to time to implement ad hoc fixes each time something stops working and I'm getting ever louder grumbles from the Mac users.

So, what should I do? Should I bite the bullet and completely re-write the bloody thing? If so, with what?

Basically, it has to be able to run from the network drive, and must be Mac/PC compatible.

Any help/pointers would be massively appreciated.

Cheers,

S

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 07:20
Is the database split into front and back-ends? If not, do that first.

shepHeard

Registered User.
Local time
Hi lagbolt,

Cheers for the reply.

It's not split at the moment, but I'll do it when I can get to a PC with 2003 on it. (2010 doesn't want to do it for some reason...)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:20
Never mind waiting to get a PC with Access 2003. Split the database manually right now. Multiple users in an unsplit database is a timebomb.

Change to late binding if the problems are references in the VBA project.

Tell the Mac users to get a real computer if they want to use the database. :D

Seriously though the most likely option with cross platform compatibility is to change to a web based application. That is a big job, especially if you aren't an experienced web designer.

shepHeard

Registered User.
Local time
Never mind waiting to get a PC with Access 2003. Split the database manually right now. Multiple users in an unsplit database is a timebomb.

Yeah - I'll do so when I get home - I have 2003 on my trusty laptop. I knew it was something I had to do, just been putting it off really.

Change to late binding if the problems are references in the VBA project.

Tell the Mac users to get a real computer if they want to use the database. :D

Ha ha - they would say the same thing I suspect... ;)

Seriously though the most likely option with cross platform compatibility is to change to a web based application. That is a big job, especially if you aren't an experienced web designer.

Yeah - I'm worried we're heading this way... I'm just hoping someone will know of a suitable platform I can run from the network. I don't want to have to start trying to sort out web hosting (even on the intranet). :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom