Condition based on color (1 Viewer)

Dhruva

Local time
Yesterday, 17:13
have one column that consists of many rows. Some rows are highlighted in Yellow and some are not. I want to add another column to this spread sheet. If the cell is highlighted in yellow it should auto populate with "X" else with "y" in the new column.

Ex: INput

LCD366
LCD378 (this cell is highlighted in yellow)

Expectation:

LCD366 --- Y
LCD378 --- X

Basically, I need a formula based on the color of the preceding cell.

Thank you...

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:13
Can't do it with a formula. You will have to use VBA, in one of two ways. 1) write a UDF - User Defined Function in VBA, then use it like you would a regular function; or 2) write code that automatically does it, and could be called by a button when needed.
________
Grand vitara

Last edited:

Dhruva

Local time
Yesterday, 17:13
shades said:
Can't do it with a formula. You will have to use VBA, in one of two ways. 1) write a UDF - User Defined Function in VBA, then use it like you would a regular function; or 2) write code that automatically does it, and could be called by a button when needed.

Thank you shades for this piece of educational information.

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Howdy. There is an Excel add-in that would give this capability: ASAP Utilities. There is a new function (UDF approach above) that can give the color index of the cell.

=ASAPCellColorIndex(A2)

Then you could combine this with an IF statement: (Yellow is Color Index 6 in standard Excel palette - if you change the palette, then the Color Index number will change)

=IF(ASAPCellColorIndex(A2)=6,"X","Y")

And copy down.

The key, however, is that you have to force a recalculation of the workbook (CTRL + ALT + F9) after changing the colors in the cells.
________
Michigan Dispensaries

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 01:13
Hi Shades that addin is an interesting bit of info, can i warn here that the original colour index is not changed by conditional formatting ie if the spreadsheet was created with no colour the CI would be -4142, if the cell is chaged to yellow by conditional formatting the CI is still -4142, why it works like this I don't know but it does, or did last time I checked.

Brian

shades

Registered User.
Local time
You are right about conditional formatting. However, if you physically set the color to Yellow after conditional formatting, then hit CTRL + SHIFT + F9, it will force a recalc, and the formula will then work.

BTW, that is why in many cases I set "conditional" formatting with code, because it doesn't have the limitations of conditional formatting (not just number of case, but over-ride, etc.)
________
LAMBORGHINI MARZAL SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:

MGumbrell

Registered User.
Local time
This is a very helpfull thread, but can anyone tell me where I can locate the colour code's ie 6=yellow. Where can I find a list of the other codes?

Regards, Matt

I have tried putting the following into Conditional Formating
=ASAPCellColorIndex(A2)=6
and then set the condition from it, I am however receiving an error as it will not accept this.

Can you plese advise what I should be doing

Regards, Matt

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hi
I have not used the ASAP utility mentioned by shades however I don't thing you put the code in conditional formatting but in the cell where you want the result, see Shades post#4

As to the InteriorColorIndex I don't know where they are listed, but the following code can list it for you. It puts it in the adjacent cell, just highlight the colors and run the macro.

Code:
Sub ListColorIndex()

For Each c In ActiveWindow.RangeSelection
           c.Offset(0, 1).Value = c.Interior.ColorIndex
    Next c

End Sub

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom