Solved conditional formatting problem (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:01
That is better but here's the best practices on naming summary. Use ONLY the letters a-z and A-Z and the numbers 0-9 and the underscore "_". Do NOT use embedded blanks or any special characters. There are two common standards. My personal preference is CamelCase where the first letter of each word is capitalized. The other standard is the_underscore where words are separated with an underscore. I find the underscore jarring (and annoying to type because I have to shift) so I only use it for special emphasis. The nice thing about CamelCase is that you never shift when you are typing. Access shifts for you when you finish. It is a visual clue that you haven't made a typo. You type camelcse and nothing happens because you missed a letter but if you type camelcase, Access corrects it to CamelCase:)

Also, avoid the use of reserved words, ESPECIALLY - Date, Month, Year, Day, and Name.
If a word is simple and common like "Date", it is probably reserved as a function, property, or method in VBA and SQL, and Access. So, LastUpdateDT might be a good choice. I don't know what "twelve month update" means

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:01
I didn't see any mention of the non-normalized table where field Status is dependent on the date field. Rather than store Status in the table, on the form or report have the source for the Status field = iif(DateField< Now, "Expired", "Not Expired") or whatever

bigmac

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:01
hi all, and thank you for your input, i have tried a query update and this works fine as well ,

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:01
If Status can never be anything but expired or not expired, the flag is redundant, just use ExpiredDT. If the Status might have more than two values, then you would use both fields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom