Solved Conditional Formatting w/ Multiple Criteria (1 Viewer)

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:54
Good morning.

I have a field that will contain bolt thread specifications. Some cells will be left empty.

They need to be entered like this - M18-2.0. The person populating the data is entering M18-2.

I need to write a formula to ignore the cell if it is blank but if it in not blank but does not have a period in the cell.

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
OK so if the cell is empty then completely ignore it. Do nothing. No formatting needed.

If the cell is not blank and is missing the period then I want to turn it red.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 18:54
Ok got it. And I shouldn't be paying attention or inferring anything special from your statement that they need to be entered as " - M18-2.0 ", yet, the person will only be entering "M18-2" ?

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
Ok got it. And I shouldn't be paying attention or inferring anything special from your statement that they need to be entered as " - M18-2.0 ", yet, the person will only be entering "M18-2" ?
Yes, you can ignore that.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
If my last statement is correct, try selecting the top cell in the column where you want this formatting. Go to Conditional Formatting, Manage Rules, New/Create Rule, "Use a formula to determine..."
In the formula, type:
Code:
=AND(ISERROR(FIND(".",A1))=TRUE,A1<>"")
Except replace A1 with the cell you selected - that top cell in the column where you want this.

Continue OK or Apply until finished.

Now with that same cell still Selected, put it on Copy. Then select the whole column (or the rest of the cells anyway), and click Paste Special, Formats.

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
That did it!

You are awesome. I will name my first child after you!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Glad it worked!! (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom