Conduct unbecoming (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 19:13
Not sure it has anything to do with homophobia, but it is a mean joke. Of course, politics and editorializing is a mean business.

I didn't watch the show, but it sounds like he is sort of trying to make this point (or is this several points):

- Does paternity leave really have the same justification as maternity leave does? Should it? Obviously, a male parent's adaptation to their newborn isn't identical to what a female's would be - And, should a cabinet member really be granted 12 weeks of absence?

I'm not saying this is an easy question, but anyone who is interested in answering this honestly would have to face the FULL potential ramifications of the rule, by asking yourself: Will it be OK if we someday have a female President who leaves for three months?
"That will never happen" isn't an answer, because it can, and will, given time. Women have children, and now it seems men do too. Is paternity leave an adequate excuse for leaving your post in ALL situations, with no exceptions or common sense expected? Should it be?

I think Tucker raises an obvious question that most rational people would ask themselves. I would not, however, have made the breastfeeding comment. But, I'm also not fooled by people who try to make every disagreement (or insult) to a gay man "homophobia", every disagreement with a woman "mysogony", and every disagreement with a person of color "racism".

I see the point you're making, and I wouldn't have said what Tucker said, I don't think.
Given, however, the WHOLE context of the situation - whether a Cabinet member of a major country's major ministry ought to be allowed absent for three months, and the fairly widespread eyesbrows already raised from the concept of 'paternity' leave, I don't see it as quite as awful as the article portrayed it.

Ironically: The same website you linked to can't seem to decide whether Pete's friend is his husband Chasten or his wife Chasten
Tucker should have just pointed to that fact to make his point and moved on..

conception_native_0123

Local time
Yesterday, 21:13
Ironically: The same website you linked to can't seem to decide whether Pete's friend is his husband Chasten or his wife Chasten
Tucker should have just pointed to that fact to make his point and moved on..
agreed. i didn't see that part though. husband or wife, the point still stands. I think boot-edge-edge is a dipshit anyway, gay or not.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:13
Agree - Pete can be gay if that's the way he's wired. I have in the past presented references for why "gay" isn't usually a choice.

But his politics IS his choice and on those grounds, I have no use for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom