Connect to SQL server. (1 Viewer)

mahenkj2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:07
My first post in SQL server.

I downloaded SQL server 2008 Express x86 and at the moment I want to try and learn on my PC only and my aim is to connect some of Access database to use as fron end and back end I want to make SQL server.

Now when I connect, I use the server name as local in connect database engine window and observe below message.

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to local.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No such host is known.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 11001)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?Prod...r&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=11001&LinkId=20476

Can somebody please direct me in correct direction. I understand it might be just a basic question but I am new to this currently appropriate resources I could not catch. Also, what is the best way to get its online help.

mahenkj2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:07
I have found the solution.

Actually, I used a wrong link to install. Although It installed successfully but I think it did not have Database Engine included.

BTW server name I used - .\SQLExpress

Last edited:

mnepic

Local time
Today, 08:37
Probably slightly late but I will post this regardless.

When you download SQL Server 2008, look for the download that says "with tools". This gives you access to the management studio.

As for connecting to SQL server via access, set up your odbc connections with the server address to be MNEPIC-PC (or whatever your pc is called) then \SQLEXPRESS.

So... Mypc-pc\SQLEXPRESS.

Sqlexpress is the default assigned when setting up the software.

roosn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:37
Hi
On 3 different machines, 2 x W7 and 1 x W8.1. i cant register a server using SSL Server 2008 SP3 thru the management studio. i am reformatting and reloading w7 on one and still no go.

can anyone please advise a link that literally takes me by the hand, as i cant work out why this is the case

thanks in advance

roosn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom