Connection via ODBC seems to be unsecured! (1 Viewer)

jxwd

Local time
Today, 15:47
Hi All, (this is my first post!)

I am connecting to a customers MS access database, with a web interface via ODBC drivers (and PHP).

To connect to the database I have the path.
But it seems literally any username and password combination will let me in!

Can you advise where this is configured? And how I can set permissions to select and alter only records?

Many Thanks -Hagen :)

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm afraid you will have difficulty using Access as a backend in the way you wish. It doesn't have the granular access control you require. In fact, it hardly has any.

The best option would be to use a proper server-based RDBMS for the back end, eg MySQL, PostgreSQL or SQLServer.

Otherwise, you will have to implement all your user access logic in PHP.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:47
cheekybuddha has advised you correctly. I will merely add that ever since Access 2007, user-level security was removed. That was the year it became a fully deprecated feature. It was done because of all of the security holes in MDAC, the Microsoft Data Access Control system that they were using. For a native Access FE, you can do SOME things to more tightly secure the DB, but when you bypass the Access FE environment and go directly to the ACE back-end, there IS no security.

jxwd

Local time
Thank you both so much... We will be stepping away from Access longer term... in the mean time, guess I need to keep my code tight!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:47
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Good luck with your project.

jxwd

Local time
Thank you :) ... is great to find such a friendly knowledgeable community...

jampy

Local time
Today, 22:47
Build the customers UI in Php (Codeignite?), and your users will praise you as the Office God :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom