Controlling Page Width of Report (1 Viewer)

DBDUDE

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:45
When I view my report, all the contents fit on one page. The next few pages are blank and only have lines on them that extend horizontally for no reason. Is there a way to force all elements of the report, including graphics, to be a speficied width?

Thanks

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 20:45
It sounds like the lines on your report are too wide.

(Please excuse the Imperial measures if you're using metric).

If you are using standard letter sized paper it's 8.5 inches wide. If you have your left and right margins set to 1 inch, you have 6.5 inches of paper to work with. If your line is 7 inches accross, you will have a half-inch of "overhang" that will be printed onto the next page (page 2). Your report data will then continue to be printed as normal on page 3 with another page of overhang on page 4.

Check your margins and the width of your lines.

DBDUDE

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:45
Thanks. Yes, I think the lines are too wide as well. The problem is that when viewing the reports, I do not see the lines. Is it something about my settings or view?

Also, is there a way to automatically force the report to be a certain width, and then have Access cut off everything past that point?

This is driving me bananas. ;>

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 20:45
You set the printable area of your report using the margins.

Once again,
If you are using imperial measures

What is the printabale area of your paper using the established margins:

File->Page Setup -> Margins

If the margins are set to Left 1 In. Right 1 In. you have 6.5 inches of printable space on the page.

Now go to the report in design view. Using the ruler on the top of the report, now wide is your report set? If it's more than 6.5 inches, place the cursor on the extreme right of the report. The cursor should change to a bar. Bring the right edge of the report back until it's at 6.5 inches.

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:45
When you are viewing the report in design mode, does the little square at the top left corner have a green triangle in it? If yes, there is a problem and Access will tell you what is. In this case, I would expect it to say something like "your report is wider than the printable space. This may cause blank pages."

Look at the report in print preview and then switch back to the design view and try to indentify which lines are too long. Adjust their length and repeat until no lines appear on the blank page. Then, grab the right edge of the report in design view and drag it leftward as far as it will go.

If you are still having problems after the above, there maybe some coding drawing the lines so have a read through the VBA for the report.

To answer the original question:
Is there a way to force all elements of the report, including graphics, to be a speficied width?
If everything in the report is a full width item (text boxes, lines etc) you can click in the ruller at the top of report to select everything and then set the left position and width to whatever suits.

For example, if the printable width is set to 6.5" as suggested by Statsman then set left as 0 and width as 6.5 (or mayb 6.49 to make sure).

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom