Convert to Web (1 Viewer)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 00:32
This may be the wrong place to post this but I am interested in Access developers who have experience of building browser based applications.

Baically I want to convert an existing access - SQL server application to a fully web enabled ( so both intranet and internet capable system.)

What kind of development timeframe could access developers (with little web experience) convert a system within a team led by experienced web developers??

I understand this question is a bit like how long is a piece of string.

But say I estimate 3 months to build the app in Access and SQL what king of ratio would a convertion take with the above conditions.

Thanks Paul

ecniv

Access Developer
Local time
Today, 08:32
Hi,

Assuming you are going to use ASP on the intra/extra/inter and any other net :) then it shouldn't take too long for an experienced vba coder to pick up the nuiances of Asp and html/css output.

The hardest part is getting the data, validating it and returning it if its wrong without saving it.

I have some Asp pages here and I have no html/asp/css/javascripting commercial knowledge. I do however have five years in Access development (97 and 2000) and thats from scratch, table design, vba coding etc.

Those Asp pages of mine have been up for around a year, initially the forum (yeah I know it looks bad, but it works (mostly)) and gallery the other sections I have added in as and when I get time, can be bothered (not much motivation as there is no money and I'm not brilliant with graphics/layout).

Anyway back to your post, if you are guessing three months for an access db front end, and the developers are not experienced, then I'd say between 3 and 6 months for a good interface, to users specifications.

It could be done quicker, but I found Asp to be tricky with error messages and handling :) but thats just me..!!

Vince

(edit) I can do some freelancing on it ;) it you are interested, but I have no knowledge of Sql server :/ yet (/edit)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Thanks Vince - yes I have developed a little using asp - just intranet pages into databases - but not a great deal.

Was just interested in how much this would be like starting again learning to program and how much if shown the differances by an person with real experience could be picked up quickly. (at least the model of what it is we are to do is in place, have to learn the new technologies to deliver it)

The system needs to be very secure and very robust - that is where the experienced developer(s) come in.

Whether or not we decide to do this depends on a lot of things.

Thanks again

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
Today, 03:32
if it took you 3 months in access, it will probably take you close to 4-6 extra weeks in ASP.
Cross browser compatibilty and design formatting will take you slightly longer to do.

If you have a lot of complex form actions that require java scripting, then I would add another few weeks on to it, or I would just skip ASP and build it in VB.NET.

Kevin_S

Registered User.
Local time
Kodo said:
or I would just skip ASP and build it in VB.NET.

Build it in VB.NET and you can use it in either a web browser or as a client on the desktop :cool:

.NET Framework is really, really powerful stuff - AND - as soon as MS releases the MAC and UNIX compatible versions of the framework (in development now according to a MS conf I went to yesterday on ASP.NET) you'll be able to roll out cross-platform applications without worrying about the machine code and object interaction taking place behind the scene as the framework itself manages the resoures for you....!

HTH,
Kev

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Thanks Kodo and Kev - I shall investigate VB.NET any good reading or links you can offer??

Thanks again.

Kevin_S

Registered User.
Local time
I personally like the Wrox books and their book on "Beginning VB.NET" is a good place to start - even though its two years old - its was my first reading and it was very helpful...

also VBForums.com is a great resouce (like this one for Access) where you can browse forums and start to pick up/search for information...

HTH,
Kev

Kevin_S

Registered User.
Local time
no prob - good luck and if you need more help post back here....

Kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom