Copied disk and now xp logoff issues !!!! (1 Viewer)

scrooj

Local time
Today, 14:08
Hi guys,

I have a weird problem almost making me cry now :( .

I upgraded my laptop's hard disk from Western Digital SATA 60 GB to Seagate 120 GB (i'll clear later why i mention makes here).

Now because i wanted everything just the same way as it was on the current 60 GB Hard disk, i copied it completely to a new one but the damn thing wont work :( . Norton Ghost drive Image etc. nothing seems to be giving what i want !

Being desperate to save all my existing programs the way they are without hassle of reinstall etc., i tried something weird to make things work which logically should work.

I took 120 GB and installed a fresh XP Install, now i copied the data (windows folder,programs files, documents & settings) from 60 GB to my regular PC using USB

Then i took this 120 GB off Laptop and connected it to my PC .

Next i delete the 3 freshly created folders and 120 GB (windows folder,programs files, documents & settings) with the ones i had copied from 60 GB

Now when i connected my 120 GB hard disk, it boots up and comes to the logon prompt.

Now when i enter my password, it starts loading user settings and then next it logs off :( .

I've read several forums by now and im unable to find any damn solution to this unless some Angel steps in now to help me !!!!

Anyone with any ideas how to solve this issue out ???

burrcm

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:08
<<fresh XP Install, now i copied the data (windows folder,programs files, documents & settings)>> This cannot work. You must leave the fresh install, then install your programs from the original CDs, and copy only your data. Ghost though should work. Once you ghost the 60 to the 120, if it won't boot, boot it to your XP CD, enter recovery console and run fixboot and fixmbr. Then it will. That is for NTFS. If it is FAT32, you must boot to a Win9X floppy and run fdisk /mbr. Why is this necessary - because Ghost is copying the bootsector from the old to the new and the architecture doesn't match, so it can't find the boot files.

Chris B

scrooj

Local time
Today, 14:08
Update : I was able to make a copy using Norton ghost 12.0 and it booted up too with the new disk but still the same problem :( !!!! The only thing that has changed is 60 GB SATA to 120 GB SATA . Is this hardware change cause of this problem ? Any ideas how to fix this ? :(

burrcm

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:08
If you have ghosted it and it is booting, what is the problem? If it is still logging off straight away then you need to do the steps I listed above.

Chris B

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom