COPY HELP (1 Viewer)

ian_ok

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:48
I want to add a command button that will copy a field or set of fileds from one section to another. Any help would be welcome

i.e.
home address1
home address2 (etc)

to be copied to

Correspondence address1
Correspondence address2

R

Rich

You shouldn't have to store the same data twice just store the address ID in the correspondence table it can be referenced at any time via a query etc.
HTH

ian_ok

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:48
I know you shouldn't have data twice, but I need it this way. i.e we may only mail to the correspondence address at set dates and the other address more often. Yes I know it's NOT the best set up and until I learn a bit more I have to do it this way.

Any help on my original question would be very helpful.

[This message has been edited by ian_ok (edited 05-01-2001).]

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:48
If it's not too late, you might want to consider a table design change.

tblAddress:
AddressID (autonumber primary key)
Addr1
Addr2
City
etc.

tblRole:
RoleID (autonumber primary key)
RoleDesc

tblAddressRole:
PersonID (primary key part1)
AddressID (primary key part2)
RoleID (primary key part3)

This method allows the same address to be shared for multiple purposes. Therefore by adding a new row in the relation table -tblAddressRole - you can use the address as both a home address and a coorespondence address. You could also add another role row to allow the address to function as a business address.

The only difficulty is when someone wants to update an address, you need to ask if the update should apply to all roles or to only a specific role. In the first case, you would update the existing row. In the second, you would insert a new row and also update the tblAddressRole to point to the new address record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom