Copy Report Layout to Word (1 Viewer)

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:11
Hi all
I have a database that I need to be able to create a report in a certain layout, once this has generated I need to be able to copy and paste this into a word document but keeping the layout of the report, Ideally I want a button the user clicks that automatically creates the report > copies it > closes the report > then the user pastes it into the correct part of the word document is this possible?

or any other way to copy a layout?, my other suggestion which isn't great is to automatically open a word template, populate the document using bookmarks automatically copy then the user pastes

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:11
my other suggestion which isn't great is to automatically open a word template, populate the document using bookmarks automatically copy then the user pastes
most will suggest this Not so Great.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Have you considered creating the entire document in access as a report?
What goes into the word part of the final output that can't be created in a report?

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
Hey
I can be made in a report but when I copy from a report into the current word document the layout of the table structure is lost and pastes into a columns rather than the layout on the report which is a little odd :(
Have you considered creating the entire document in access as a report?
What goes into the word part of the final output that can't be created in a report?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Hey
I can be made in a report but when I copy from a report into the current word document the layout of the table structure is lost and pastes into a columns rather than the layout on the report which is a little odd :(
I wasn't suggesting copying the report to word, I was suggesting doing the whole document in Access. What do you do in Word with it?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Years ago, I tried doing something similar to both of the methods you have suggested:
1. I saved the report design as an image, pasted it into Word then created 'controls' to align with template objects and populated the Word doc using mail merge. It was time consuming and a total PITA. The end results didn't justify the time taken.
2. I created a complex Word 'form' then filled it using bookmarks. It worked but once again took a lot of time to setup

So I suggest avoiding both approaches.
Agree with Minty. Using a report and subreports as needed you should be able to do this directly in Access.
You can then save the report as a PDF to distribute it to others

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:11
If you want to send a copy of the report to a client or someone outside your LAN, print the report to a pdf and send the pdf.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:11
If you right-click on the report, is there an Export option called "Word/RTF" ?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@Isaac
If you have ever tried exporting a report to RTF, you will know that the layout isn't preserved.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:11
The export to RTF has always been a disappointment to me. I created reports from a COBOL application on the main frame and wrote them to a .rtf file and even COBOL could write a great formatted document.

If you're inclined to write code, look up the RTF spec on the web. RTF is a plain text file type and the rules are public so it is easy to create. You just need to know the field codes to make things work correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom