Cross site internet database (1 Viewer)

Chrisopia

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:35
I'm guessing this has been spoken of many a time on the internet but the only information I could find was about mySQL on a server.

Unfortunately my Host does not permit external access to the mySQL database (i.e. it will only let webpages on that domain access the data)

This is unfortunate as the alternative methods all involve some form of cost or another.

So I was wandering if anyone knew of a free/ cheap and secure method of hosting the back end database online?

Or there was this I retrieved from the Microsoft Access help page:
Replicate the Access database If you use two computers, such as an office computer and a portable computer, you can use Microsoft Windows Briefcase to make replicas of your Access database and keep those replicas synchronized. Also, several users at different locations can work on their own copies at the same time and then synchronize them over the network, either through a dial-up connection or on the Internet.

But I have no idea if this will work or how to implicate it.

Hope someone can help.

bparkinson

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:35
I'm hosting my SQL Server on databasemart.com for 7 bucks a month. It's just the development DB, and we'll need to ramp to virtual servers later (so we can run scheduled SSIS packages), but for now it's cheap, and I can access the database both from my Access front end (I use linked tables) and more importantly, I can use SQL Server Management Studio just as if it were a local SQL Server. My developers are all over Europe, and it works well for them. I'm in the US, database is somewhere in Texas.

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:35
Jet Replication is not a good solution to the problem you describe. Compare the paragraph you quote to the "Myths" page on the Jet Replication Wiki:

http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/index.php?title=Things_not_to_believe_in_the_MS_documentation

I'm a big user of Jet Replication, but only in relatively limited circumstances. I wouldn't recommend starting it for other people, now that MS is providing Sharepoint as its replacement for the functionality replication previously provided.

On the other hand, your cheapest solution may yet be, as another poster suggests, simply finding a web host that will open the port for you. I would not want my database running on a port open to the wild Internet, myself, but if you're OK with that, then mazel tov. Personally, I'd only do this over a VPN, but most web hosts charge a fortune for that, when it really ought to be a standard service they offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom