Dark matter candidate could display stringy effects in the lab (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:09
Interesting. If it has a "Hall effect" then it has to be a charged particle. Should be fun if they ever find it.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:09
Should be fun if they ever find it.
Yes, they need a break in this field. There's a lot that is hiding just below the surface and maybe this will get them a step Closer!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yep, they've been poking around in the dark forever on this.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:09
I recently stumbled across this article: Can the EmDrive actually work for space travel?
This was originally brought-up on this forum in: "The "Bart" Drive"
The reason for bring it up here, the article: "Dark matter candidate could display stringy effects in the lab" posted by @Uncle Gizmo talked about properties that we do not fully understand yet. Possibly, (just to toss out a random hypothesis) the EmDrive may somehow interact with dark matter or the very fabric of space to create (impossible) "thrust" in a manner that we do not yet comprehend. But then it could be a dud too!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:09
The "Bart Drive" was me too....

The Bart drive, if proved to work would be fantastic for space exploration and could also lead to some discoveries.

However I do have my reservations about the quality of the research done on the Bart drive.

I won't be convinced until they get one into space and give it a real try...

neuroman9999

Local time
Yep, they've been poking around in the dark

ha ha ha. VERY clever, mr. genius. very nice pun.

some of your attempts at humor are actually spot on. most of them sound just like ""old man"" jokes. very dry and cheesy, just like an accountant. :p

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Accountants and system analysts frequently do the same thing, except one counts money in different accounts and the other counts different types of system resources. Both make projections of imminent depletion of resources, whether monetary or memory. The main difference is that you know you are in trouble if your accountant demands a full and immediate payment of what you owe him/her for services.

And as far a "cheesy" goes, I love Jarlsberg alpine cheese and old cheesy movies.

neuroman9999

Local time
The main difference is that you know you are in trouble if your accountant demands a full and immediate payment of what you owe him/her for services.

so what happens if the analyst demands the same thing? you're screwed, right?

And as far a "cheesy" goes, I love Jarlsberg alpine cheese and old cheesy movies.

why not good old ""cheese-its""?? a couple of students I ran into the other day at the newman center here were talking about those. apparently they're in love with them. Personally I can't stand them.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Regarding Cheese-its, I won't say "can't stand them" but I find them to be exceptionally salty, which is not good for blood pressure at ANY age.

The analyst would simply demand a check or cash for the next payment because the electronic funds transfer would be doomed.

neuroman9999

Local time
Regarding Cheese-its, I won't say "can't stand them" but I find them to be exceptionally salty, which is not good for blood pressure at ANY age.

speaking of blood pressure, what can I look forward to if I do this?

drink 3 glasses of tea every morning with 12 packets of sugar in each.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would predict a few outcomes. If you actually did this, ...

First, 3 glasses of tea daily will have a diuretic effect. Long-term, you could stress your kidneys and develop prostate or kidney infections. The latter effect depends on the strength of the brew and whether the tea was a more common blended black and orange pekoe or something more varietal, like the lapsang souchong or oolong variety. Your sleep habits might be severely disrupted because tea DOES contain caffeine, which is one of the alkaloid poisons. As such, in extreme cases, it could negatively affect heart rhythms. I would anticipate atrial fibrillation or A-fib, one of the more common heart arrythmias.

Second, a total of 36 packets of sugar per day would lead to - at the least - insulin resistance and weight gain. That could easily escalate to metabolic syndrome, which is a precursor to type II diabetes. If the weight gan is not controlled, you might also see increases in blood pressure. You would also probably very strongly increase the likelihood of dental caries (weakening/loss of tooth enamel) leading to the need for fillings or more severe dental work, because sugar in the mouth promotes growth of bacteria that are not your friends. Finally, you might develop a breath like that of a buzzard. Those unfriendly bacteria emit noxious gases, so folks would smell bacteria farts on your breath.

neuroman9999

Local time
Second, a total of 36 packets of sugar per day would lead to - at the least - insulin resistance and weight gain. That could easily escalate to metabolic syndrome, which is a precursor to type II diabetes. If the weight gan is not controlled, you might also see increases in blood pressure. You would also probably very strongly increase the likelihood of dental caries (weakening/loss of tooth enamel) leading to the need for fillings or more severe dental work, because sugar in the mouth promotes growth of bacteria that are not your friends. Finally, you might develop a breath like that of a buzzard.

what would you say if someone did this, but did not succomb to any of the predictions you've made?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Doing it for a few days or a few weeks won't matter. Doing it for years should make a difference.

However, I'm going to call "foul" on this. You have hijacked yet another thread, again showing disrespect. You keep on bring this back to a "me me me" situation. I play only so far before it is time to stop.

If you want to harp on your wonderful personality, great skills, helpful attitude, and (hypothetically) iron constitution, start your own thread. That way everyone can recognize it for what it is and ignore it if they choose.

neuroman9999

Local time
Doing it for a few days or a few weeks won't matter. Doing it for years should make a difference.
I guess I would tend to agree with that. But then again I won't be doing it forever so I probably will never become a problem. I asked the same thing to a doctor years ago when I developed a habit of drinking 12 vodka shots in 1 hour every x number of weeks just for fun. almost to the point of throwing up which was my stopping point. I asked him what effect on the liver that would have and that's when he told me that it's a self recovering mechanism so doing it every so often isn't going to do any damage whatsoever because it repairs itself. Cirrhosis of the liver he said only happens for people that drink everyday or they're about. Because it doesn't give the liver any time to recover for the next round of damage

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, complaints are coming in about what you see as a "fun" exchange. I have played along with you enough. Time to be a moderator.

Being polite with you has gone nowhere. What you consider fun is painful to others. I have tried to make that point clear but to you it is as water off a duck's back.

From now own, I have to play hardball. Stop hijacking threads like you so often do. I hereby remind you and give you notice of my right as a moderator to delete any comments you make that would have the effect of hijacking a thread, even in the Watercooler.

I am tired of constantly reminding you that you are annoying others. I played along with some of your little word games - but I see now that you are incorrigible. My patience with you has led to a bad effect on others with regard to the forum experience. For that, I apologize to my friends here. My patience is my own worst enemy, apparently.

neuroman9999

Local time
So what exactly are you restricting me to? That's fine I don't have to say anything around here for that matter. And I'm not surprised that you're getting complaints considering the nature of this forum and that's not meant to say anything or put anybody down by the way. And I find it very ironic that my way and my jokes and my level of intellect and my way of helping many many poor people throughout the world has gone over very well other places but continues to be rejected here. Don't you find that a coincidence richard? Goes to show you the difference in online communities doesn't it?kind of like liberal-based cities versus conservative-based cities.and I'm sure things will get a lot worse in this country as we continue people will congregate together based on what they think they know. and I'll say this for the last time and nothing more religious coming from me, that type of segregational behavior was predicted thousands of years ago and here we are now it's coming to pass. :-( but then again on a positive note, the human race can't be blamed because they only act one way, and i, just like all the faithful people of the world in history, just sit back and observe.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Evading the issue again? You know EXACTLY what I mean because you have had it happen before. Adam, STOP FEIGNING IGNORANCE. You have been banned on tech forums before under different names including your VBA_PHP and AJETrumpet screen names. You have had posts removed from forums before. You've been warned here and other places many times before. You KNOW what you do that is wrong.

I'm tired of explaining it. So instead, take a break. You've earned it. And if you truly don't understand why, then I would advise you to stop touting "level of intellect." See you Wednesday, maybe - if no other moderator decides to extend that ban before then.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
point me to a thread where those words were written by me.

(Referring to the phrase "my level of intellect")

And I find it very ironic that my way and my jokes and my level of intellect and my way of helping many many poor people throughout the world has gone over very well other places but continues to be rejected here.

This very thread, post #17. Geez, could you make the next question just a LITTLE bit harder than that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom