Data truncation error. My favorite. (1 Viewer)

mtairhead

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:59
I just linked a table to an Access Database from SQL Server. Now, whenever I open the linked table, I receive the error "Scaling of decimal value resulted in data truncation."

After a quick Google search (and search of these forums), I found some solutions:

what this means is that your number / data had a whole load of numbers after the decimal point, the length (width) of the field was not enough to display them all so some of the end was got lost

Increase the field size, or, limit the size of the number via the table, in design view, FIELD SIZE

It would appear that somewhere along the way you are
implicitly converting from a decimal value that has high
precision to an integer or other type value that has low
precision. During the conversion their is some data loss
in the form of lost precision.

So, I guess I found the problem, right? I just don't know what I'm suppose to do to correct the issue. There is not a single field in my SQL database that has a precision beyond 10 and a scale beyond 2. So...erm...Why can't Access just deal? What am I doing wrong?

~Andrew

mtairhead

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:59
Say, here's a development:

I was able to copy the View that the linked table was "truncating" as another name, and linked that view without any problems at all.

Uh.

So.

I don't know what to say. Two MSSQL views, exactly the same...One links without a nasty error, and the other doesn't.

~Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom