Database distribution (1 Viewer)

jrmellis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:08
I have an access database that i want to distribute on CD. The database access files (.jpgs etc.) in different folders on drive C. I want to be able to have something like a setup program that would install the files in their respective location so the they will be found by the database. Does anyone know of such software?

Also, can this database be converted into an executable file so that one does not have to have access to use it?

Thank much.

jatfill

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:08
There is a good installation program (free, actually) called Inno Setup that will do basic package distribution & let you create folders, etc. on the target machine.

As far as turning Access files into standalone projects, you would need the Enterprise version of Microsoft Office in order to redistribute your database w/out requiring the end user to have Access on their machine. I don't believe even this method creates .exe files however...

I did try product once called AccesstoVB that will supposedly let you convert Access projects to Visual Basic, thereby providing a means to "create" applications from your Access database. I have serious doubts as to how easy a task this would be & I didn't get very far playing with it. In order to use this you would need Visual Basic in addition to Access, so any of the above possibilities require additional software unless you already own VB, or the Enterprise Edition of MS Office.

jrmellis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:08
Thanks a lot. Inno Setup looks like the what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom