Database on iPad and Cloud help? (1 Viewer)

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:46
Hi,

I have someone requesting a database that can be used on iPad and also on a Cloud.

Is it possible with an Access Database?

Thanks
Will

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:46
When I see a question like I wonder whether you are actually talking about Access, the RAD environment or Jet/ACE the database engines.

To run on an IPad Access would have to run in a browser. There is no way to do that with a standard Access application. A2010 has the ability to build Access apps that run in Sharepoint which is as close as you can get. This is a new feature and not yet ready for prime time. It is severely limited and can only use macros. No VBA allowed.

Access does have the ability to connect to SQL Server or other RDBMS' in the "cloud". It is just a matter of linking to them so it is no different from linking to a SQL Server or other RDBMS on your LAN.

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Today, 00:46
For the benefit of anyone else with the same issue: there actually is one way to run a standard Access application on an iPad besides the browser.

But it still requires internet connectivity and for access to be available via a citrix application gateway that you have available to you. Then you can download the (free) Citrix Reveiver app on your iPad, and work with Access via Citrix. I have designed and deployed two Access databases for use under this scenario and it works pretty darned well. But unless your organisation already has a citrix farm setup, and an IT department to run it, this is unlikely to be as relevant as the browser based solution Pat Hartman has already discussed.

AccessMSSQL

Seasoned Programmer-ette
Local time
Today, 00:46
You could put it up on Windows Azure in a SQL Azure database. You would have to create a website that connects and interfaces with SQL Azure database in the cloud and the website would be available within any platform with a connection to the internet.

Last edited:

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:46
If you use something like Logmein (free), then you don't need anything fancy to use an existing Access application. You may need to format the screens a bit to make them more suited for the different resolution but no other changes are necessary.

SHADOW

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:46
For the benefit of anyone else with the same issue: there actually is one way to run a standard Access application on an iPad besides the browser.

But it still requires internet connectivity and for access to be available via a citrix application gateway that you have available to you. Then you can download the (free) Citrix Reveiver app on your iPad, and work with Access via Citrix. I have designed and deployed two Access databases for use under this scenario and it works pretty darned well. But unless your organisation already has a citrix farm setup, and an IT department to run it, this is unlikely to be as relevant as the browser based solution Pat Hartman has already discussed.

Are you talking about Metaframe? we use it here where I am, but it certainly isnt cheap

YNWA, you thought about using VNC? you could create a VM on a server and then VNC into it from the tablet

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom