Question Database Security - General Question (1 Viewer)

jiblankman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:26
I have an Access 2000 database that I would like to secure. I was hoping to get some feedback about the best way to proceed.

The databases are accessed by about 5 people. Each user must login to the network and into the server where the databases are stored. The database can be accessed simultaneously.

I have not setup security on an Access database before and am not sure the best way to proceed. Should I just password protect it or setup a workgroup with user level permissions. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

My access knowledge is in the beginner to intermediate range, so please bear with me. Thanks in advance.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 14:26
In order to reduce the risk of corruption you should split your DB into FE/BE and give each user their own copy of the Front End. The Back End DB should remain on the server.

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Be very careful with Access Security. It is good when set correctly but a minefield for the unwary.

Do not run the wizard until you fully understand what you are about to do.

I have a couple of documents that are too big to post here but if you send me a private message (PM) with an email address I will gladly send them to you.

Len B

jiblankman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:26
Rabbie -
The database is about 13 years old, originating from an Access 97 database (might actually be older). It was made into an Access 2000 database about 9 years ago and contains about 80k records. I like the idea of splitting the front end and back end but have no idea how to do that, or if it is a good idea given the size of the db. Going forward, I am trying to create a new database that is more user friendly, and think this might be a great way to proceed. Can you direct me to a good resource that teaches how to split fe/be? Thanks again.

Jeff

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Rabbie -
The database is about 13 years old, originating from an Access 97 database (might actually be older). It was made into an Access 2000 database about 9 years ago and contains about 80k records. I like the idea of splitting the front end and back end but have no idea how to do that, or if it is a good idea given the size of the db. Going forward, I am trying to create a new database that is more user friendly, and think this might be a great way to proceed. Can you direct me to a good resource that teaches how to split fe/be? Thanks again.

Jeff
Try this link http://members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/Articles/split/index.htmhttp://members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/...plit/index.htm

Last edited:

Juniour

Local time
Today, 15:26
Hi, I have a database tha is build on Access 2016. Not very fancy or complicated. I am getting stuck with control of users. ie; permissions on access and editing. Can anyone assit with fine tuning the database?

Dreamweaver

Local time
Hi juniior you shouldn't hijack somebody else's post.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:26
First, user-level security is now (and has been) removed from Access for a long time.

Second, on an old thread, it is OK (and probably advisable) to start a new thread of your own, as old threads are often ignored.

Third, use this forum's SEARCH feature to see a myriad of articles on "Securing a Database"

Dreamweaver

Local time
I have a basic login system in my employees example use link in my sig if it's what your looking at doing

Mick

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 08:26
Download the Northwind sample database that is available through the Templates in Access and look at how they do their user permissions. Works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom