Datasheet questions (1 Viewer)

diberlee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:11
Hi,

Tried searching/googling for this but can't find anything relevant...

I have a couple of questions about datasheets.

1. I'd like to use a datasheet for some data entry. The bulk of my data entry will be through 'proper' forms but there are a couple of places in my app where using a datasheet will work well. However, my data structure uses ID numbers and I can't figure out how to pull in a different field from the ID. E.G. staff department is stored as the PK value, but I don't want the user to have to memorise codes for each department. Is this possible with a datasheet, or do I need to make a proper form for each data entry task?

EDIT. Figured this bit out... Never occurred to me to just change to a combobox as you usually would to accomplish this. Long day :)

2. Is it possible to hide a field in a datasheet if there are no values? E.G. a sub datasheet shows details of a specific staff member's working week. I have allowed for up to 3 set breaks per day with each having a start time, duration and type. All this data is stored as 1 record for each day. The vast majority of staff only have 1 set break so I'd like to hide the 6 blank fields if possible, but still display them for the few people who have data in them

Anybody able to answer these?

Cheers
Duane

Last edited:

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:11
To answer your second question, you can exclude rows from the record source. What you need is a Query and the Is Null or Not Is Null keyword. Have a look into those.

diberlee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:11
To answer your second question, you can exclude rows from the record source. What you need is a Query and the Is Null or Not Is Null keyword. Have a look into those.

Of course... I had a feeling it would prove to be a stupid question one way or another.

Thanks for your help

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:11
No question is stupid. Sometimes we just need a nudge in the right direction. ;)

Happy to have helped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom