dbse courses (1 Viewer)

Siegfried

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:20
Dear experts,

Would like to ask your advice. My QA department asked me to make a small Access database where staff can watch video tutorials.
As the video's are company owned, they aren't allowed to access and download them directly so idea is that they access a dbse and then can select a course/chapter/tutorial and then watch the movie by clicking on the provided link (vthe ideo's will be on the network on a NAS), additionally, HR can monitor which staff member is following which course and the progress done.
I've set up tables and relations as per attached screenshot but I'm still puzzled.
Let's say staff member Rick wants to watch the Safety course, chapter 1: lifeboats, video tutorial 1: safe operation.
How can I setup in access that the user can select the courses/chapter/video tutorial himself and add it to his progress list? In my present setup I am linking the courses to the users manually. So if user logs in under his user, he sees all the courses.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Siegfried

Attachments

• AccessTutorialDbse.PNG
    AccessTutorialDbse.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 132

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:20
You need to add additional information to the StudentProgress table to track which videos the user starts. You have no way of knowing whether or not he finishes a video so you would have to allow him to say he was done.

You might need other tables that can be used to link courses to departments or job titles so you can offer guidance as to which videos should be given priority.

Siegfried

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:20
Dear Pat.

Thanks for your help and advice!:)
I've updated my StudentProgress table so students can mark when they completed a tutorial (yes/no button, auto-assigning a date when they set it to yes, so HR knows when they completed it.
Linking courses to departments/job titles is an idea, didn't think of that, though these tutorials are common (not really department specific), OPS, Crewing, Quality and TEChnical departments all need to watch these same tutorials...
Accounts department for example will never watch these as it's not related to their job.
I added the department just as a reference for our HR so they can pull a statistic and also see the progress per department rather than just per user.

Leaves me my question on how to deal with the user selecting the courses himself.
How can I setup in access that the user can select the courses/chapter/video tutorial himself and add it to his progress list rather than having everything there already entered by me? I'm now manually linking all the courses to each user so that when he/she logs on can see all the tutorial listed. But I think this can be done differently...?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:20
Use a subform for tblStudentProgress. Allow the user to add rows. Include a combo that lists the available courses and have him pick from that. If you link courses to departments (this requires a junction table since the relationship between courses and departments is m-m), then the list can be filtered to show only the courses that match the student's department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom